Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP 250 G6 Notebook PC

Hello, yesterday I updated the BIOS on my HP 250 G6, the last version is the F.71 Rev.A released in november 2022.

The installation went smooth, the laptop turned off at completion. It didn't turn on by it itself so after a couple of minutes I pressed the power button, the computer started but it didn't show anything on the screen. I left it like that for about an hour but the situation didn't change, so I started the troubleshooting process. 

I tried the using the Windows + B/V procedure, installing different RAM, clearing the CMOS, plugging in an external monitor to see if displayed an image, changing hard drive; nothing worked.

I noticed an odd behaviour, when the computer boots the cooling fan spins for about five seconds, then briefly stops, then starts again indefinitely and I can finally hear the hard drive spinning.

The laptop worked perfectly fine before the BIOS update, I never had this kind of problem with any other HP laptop.

Can you help me please?

Additional info: the caps lock light doesn't blink, the fan behaviour is the same with or without the RAM installed.

11 REPLIES 11
HP Recommended

Will HP eventually post a reply to help us after releasing a BIOS that ruins the laptop?

HP Recommended

I am having the exact same issue. Updating Laptop went perfect and then the assistant recommended the BIOS update.

Same issue appeared to go smoothly when done screen went black and has been that way since. I have tried all recommendations also. This is SO INFURIATING!!! What should have been a simple upgrade is now in Limbo because of the BIOS Update. Please respond with a solution to this issue.

HP Recommended

here how I solved this after spending 1 day to investigate for a solution:

1) download the previous version of the bios from HP

For laptop hp 250 G6 go to

https://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/hp-250-g6-notebook-pc/15747807

Version F69, F70 work.

F71 is the faulty latest.

2) run the bios utility as Admin to create a flash USB drive.

Try to use a flash drive that had a led light indicating when data are read. This will help you understand if the laptop tries to boot.

3) insert the USB to the laptop, power on with {Windows key} + [B] pressed

(or press them multiple times; try both approaches)

4) the bios flash starts.

5) when everything is ok and windows boot, the update will again pick the latest BIOS (which HP did not care to take down) and then you are again with a faulty BIOS.

Cut the internet, go to GPedit and disable the automatic download of drivers and firmware.

Then you should be fine.

HP Recommended

Hello

I've had the same issue today with upgrading an HP 250 G6 to the latest BIOS (F71).  It is our policy to update to the latest BIOS whenever a computer comes in for support (along with making sure it has the latest Windows updates, etc).  I wish I hadn't bothered! 

I have tried your resolution but I can't get the laptop to boot from the USB drive using the Windows key + B, either constantly pressed or pressed multiple times.  I can hear the laptop start up (fan noise) but nothing appears on the screen.  Is there anything else you can suggest I try?  This is the only one of this model I have and I don't have any other spares, so when the user comes back to collect it, he's not going to be very happy 😞

HP Recommended

I had the same problem, I try the - Mioan's  solution, but BIOS won't boot from flash drive.

And make steps from VYS member.

And  "I can't get the laptop to boot from the USB drive using the Windows key + B, either constantly pressed or pressed multiple times.  I can hear the laptop start up (fan noise) but nothing appears on the screen. "   -  like Alockey simptoms.

Can someone have another suggestions?

HP Recommended

I contacted HP through telephone contact and explained the situation.
This only happened after updating the BIOS firmware.
The problem is a faulty driver on their side.

But our HP G6 are no longer under warranty so they asked us to look for a budget in one off their official agent.

HP Recommended

The solution in my case was: the BIOS chip with an older version was flashed in the service.

HP Recommended

Hi, I have a HP 250 G6 laptop and I installed flash F71. after I successfully flash, the laptop turns on but only the fan blows and the screen is black. Your bios f71 killed my laptop! what should i do now your recovery procedures are not working.

HP Recommended

I have exactly the same problem. My HP250 G6 died after booting up to install a new bios update. I previously made a flash drive with the old version, but that didn't help. It's completely dead. Black screen. On startup it spins a fan then stops for 5 seconds and starts constantly. Tried windows + B, Windows + V, only B. Nothing happens. This update just completely killed the laptop. I'm asking for help

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.