Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended
HP Omen 15-ax203na
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello

I recently bought an HP Omen 15-ax203na with the intention of installing a Sandisk / HP M.2 256Gb SSD 856448-001 and using the SSD as my main windows 10 location and boot location.

Here is the steps I used to install the SSD:

1.My 256GB SSD has been physically installed into the laptop.
2. I cloned the default 1TB C: Drive  to my 256GB SSD using a software called AOMEI Backupper
3. In the bios settings I have enabled Legacy support and have disabled the secure boot.
4. In the legacy boot order under Notebook Hard Drive I have put my SSD to the top of the list
5. I save, restart, bootup, and select F9 boot devices. I see that my SSD is visible and when I select the device to boot, everything works the laptop boots up in seconds.

HOWEVER

When I restart my laptop again my boot device by default goes back the original 1TB hard drive and not my SSD.

Am I missing a step? I cannot seem to set my SSD as the default boot drive even though it is visible. How do I set my SSD as the default boot location? In the bios settings it says that the UEFI takes priority over legacy which is where my SSD is located, is there anyway to reverse this?

Any advice you can provide would be greatly appreciated, I'm just trying to get the best out of this laptop.

Regards

Chiok

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

@Chiok

Welcome to HP Forums, 

This is a great place to get support, find answers and tips, 

Thank you for posting your query, I'll be more than glad to help you out 🙂 

As I understand you want to make your m2 Sata the default boot device,

Don't worry as I'll be glad to help, however, to provide an accurate resolution, I need a few more details: 

Have you attempted to make the changes on the Boot menu (F9) as well?

Did the m2 Sata come with the PC or was this an upgrade you've done on your own?

When was the last time it worked or is this the first time you've upgraded to such a setup?

Please reply with the details for further assistance,

eager to help!

If the information I've provided was helpful, 

Give us some reinforcement by clicking the solution and kudos buttons, 

That'll help us and others see that we've got the answers!

Good Luck.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi Riddle_Decipher, I have the exact same problem as the OP just wondered whether this issue was ever sorted?  For me, I can boot manually via F9 but if I let it boot by itself it still tries to boot from the HDD. Formatting the HDD doesn't help either.

HP Recommended

Hello

So booting to my SSD was very inconsistent, one day I would have to hit F9 everytime that I would want to boot to the SSD, and then the next day my laptop itself would boot to my SSD without manually changing via F9.

It's annoying that the HP omen doesnt actually have a default boot order for devices, you could for example set the USB as default boot order, but if you set it on hard drive, it doesnt distinguish between SSD or HDD.

What has fixed the problem for now was compltely reformatting the HDD.

HP Recommended
Thanks Chiok. Did you just format the main partition on your hdd (ie. just the Windows partition) or everything even the recovery partition? I've formatted my windows partition on the hdd already but for some reason it's still trying to boot from the hdd (and then taking me to an error screen).
HP Recommended

@ShanShi wrote:
Thanks Chiok. Did you just format the main partition on your hdd (ie. just the Windows partition) or everything even the recovery partition? I've formatted my windows partition on the hdd already but for some reason it's still trying to boot from the hdd (and then taking me to an error screen).

Hello

I think I only did a quick format of the HDD so only the main partition was deleted, I remember the HDD had atleast 5 different partitions, but I had hidden them because with my SSD installed I had 10 partitions which was a silly amount. 

When I rebooted after I formatted the HDD my screen went to the "fixing bootup error" screen or something to that effect, it had a loading bar, however I never actually let that sequence carry out because I manually restarted my laptop. So when I restarted my laptop I hit ESC to enter boot mode and then through F9 set my SSD to boot from (my HDD was still visible to select) and I successfully booted to my SSD.

And now it seems to work

HP Recommended

I did the same process, and i can boot from the ssd m.2  by default with no problem.

What it worked for me was that i took the HDD out and reboot, it started normally but from de SSD, then i put the HDD back and reboot again, from there it just started booting with SSD not even trying or asking for the HDD, but HDD still works, if i want to boot from it i have to go to

Settings > Update & Security > Recovery > Advanced Start Up > Restart Now > Choose Device

I hope this work for you too.

However i'm concern about the f9 boot you mentioned before. I tried and it didn't work for me.

WhatsApp Image 2019-05-16 at 2.00.45 PM (1).jpeg

F9 only listed me  the SSD twice and boot from a file (the image attached.) wich  i selected and throw me into a bunch of complicated choices but finaly i don't want to look for a boot file so i let that choice go.

the third option throw me a black window with the message:  

Reboot and select proper boot device or inset boot media in selected boot device and press a key.

and the first option just go into my SDD drive like normally.

was the F9 options listed for you any different?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.