Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Omen 15-ax206na
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello,

When I'm either browsing the web or watching a random YouTube video, If I go to pick up the laptop sometimes out of nowhere the laptop crashes and artifacts appear all over the screen. This can happen even the slightest pressure is applied. I have tried taking out the RAM and reseating it, swapping the HDD for an SSD and tried without the battery. Inevitably the problem keeps persisting. I use the laptop for college work so It's vital I don't lose any of my saved work.

My laptop is the HP Omen 15-ax206na and here's a link to the specs page:

https://support.hp.com/au-en/document/c05373631

Thanks in advance.

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

Hey there! @Curbo, Thanks for stopping by the HP Support Community!

Don't worry I'll try to help you out. Let me ask you a few questions in order to assist you better.

Did you make any hardware or software changes on your PC?

Were there any recent windows update on the PC?

Excellent description and a great diagnosis done. It is greatly appreciated.

Let's continue with the troubleshooting steps now.

Try the steps recommended below.

I would suggest you enable Fast Start-Up on the system and check if it helps. To do this, follow the steps below.
1. Open Control Panel and go to Power Options.
2. Click/tap on the Choose what the power buttons do link on the left side.
3. Click/tap on the Change settings that are currently unavailable link at the top.
4. If prompted by UAC, then click/tap on Yes. 
5. Ensure that Turn on Fast Startup is checked.
6. Restart the computer.

Try updating the BIOS and chipset drivers on the PC and check if it helps.

Update the BIOS using this link. Click Here

Also, update the chipset drivers using this link. Click Here

You can try updating other drivers on your PC using HP support assistant. Click Here

If the issue still persists after trying out the steps try the steps recommended below.

In Windows, search for Command Prompt. In the search results, right-click Command Prompt and select Run as administrator. Then click Yes.
In Command Prompt, type sfc /scannow. Make sure to include the space between sfc and the /.
Press Enter and wait while System File Checker scans for corrupted files.
When scanning is complete, the results are displayed on the screen.
If the file checker found and replaced any corrupted files, restart the computer and check the performance.
If the file checker did not find any corrupted files or found corrupted files but could not replace them, go to the next step.
If System File Checker finds corrupted files but cannot replace them, use the Deployment Image Servicing and Management (DISM) tool. DISM checks the corrupted files; then downloads and replaces the files using Windows Update.
In Windows, open a web browser.
   NOTE:
You need to be connected to the Internet to use DISM.
In Windows, search for Command Prompt. In the search results, right-click Command Prompt and select Run as administrator. Then click Yes.
In Command Prompt, type dism.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth. Make sure to include the space before each / in the command line.
Press Enter and wait while DISM works. This might take several minutes.
If DISM finds corrupted files, it replaces them using Windows Update. If this occurs, after DISM is finished, restart your computer and see if the performance has improved.

Refer this article to further troubleshoot lock up or freezing issues with PC. Click Here

Lastly, if you are unable to try any steps recommended above, try running a system diagnostics test on your PC and check if the hardware on your PC is functioning correctly.

Refer this article to know more information about running system diagnostics on your PC.

Hope this helps!

Have a great day! 🙂

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi @MrRobot, Thanks for getting in touch. 

I've not made any hardware or software changes other than remove the battery and the hard drive to test for faults. I've also reinstalled Windows 10 twice, using two installs and two USB's to ensure it's not a corrupt Windows boot file.

The Laptop is running the 1803 update of Windows 10 pro 64bit.

I've updated the BIOS already along with using fast start up. It seems to be when the system is running Idle and playing videos from YouTube etc it still occurs. Having the computer doing nothing on the desktop still triggers the crash when moved or picked up from the table.

I've also used dskchk and /scannow in CMD, also by running it as Administrator.

I've used the HP Support Assistant troubleshooter and still the problem appears to arise.

My warranty has expired and not sure if trying to extend the Warranty will help or If I can even do so. I'm just frustrated and don't want to fork out more money for a PC as it is functional, but more or less like a Desktop than a Laptop. 

Thanks again.

HP Recommended

@Curbo,

I have brought your issue to the attention of an appropriate team within HP. They will likely request information from you in order to look up your case details or product serial number. Please look for a private message from an identified HP contact. Additionally, keep in mind not to publicly post personal information (serial numbers and case details).

If you are unfamiliar with how the Community's private message capability works, you can learn about that here.

Thank you for visiting the HP Support Community.

Regards

Mr.Robot

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thank you very much. I've just replied to that PM now.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.