Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
PAVILION G7-1075dx
Windows 8

I am having an issue with my G7-1075dx. Power light comes on, amber light of WiFi glows, fan starts up and runs, and that's it: Blank screen and no further boot. I've done all the 'hard boot' and hardware investigations that I can think of: replacing hard drive, removing and resetting RAM modules, etc. No help. I have seen possible solutions listed for a device running Windows 7. My laptop runs Windows 8. Has there been any solutions given for this problem? I see by perusing the internet that this is not entirely uncommon, and up to this point this has been a great computer to work with. Help!!!

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended
Are there any beeping sounds? Ram cards are correctly inserted?
I hope this helps!
If you feel that I helped you, give me a thumbs up button and hit the "accept as answer" button so others can find the answer as well 🙂 .
HP Recommended
No beeping sounds. Push the power switch, power light comes on, fan starts up, WiFi light turns on (amber), and that's all. Doesn't matter how long machine runs. RAM is inserted properly, seems to be seated securely. Hard drive seems firmly attached, although there is a small wear spot about half way along the wire.
HP Recommended

Did you try wityh an external monitor? Did you check the attachment of the screen internally? (How the wires are attached and so on.)

If that doesn't fix it, it's most likely GPU failure or motherboard failure. 

You could test the system to see if it is responding by pressing the "caps lock" on and off. If you see an LED light on the key itself light on and off it should mean the system is somewhat responding. Then it could be a display problem.

You could also try closing the lid and opening it again as well. Sometimes that helps.

I hope this helps!
If you feel that I helped you, give me a thumbs up button and hit the "accept as answer" button so others can find the answer as well 🙂 .
HP Recommended

Tried the external monitor to no avail. Haven't done anything that requires removing the entire backplate of the laptop (checking monitor attachments, motherboard, etc.)   "Caps lock" doesn't light when pressed. In fact, when I turn on the laptop, the power button comes on (both top and side), the WiFi glows amber, but I have noticed that the hard drive indicator light, that shows when the hard drive is working, doesn't light up at all. Ever.

HP Recommended
If a PC suddenly fails to boot properly, you should perform a hard reset as the first procedure.
Disconnect all peripheral devices and remove all USB devices and media cards. You want to test the computer not the accessories!
Disconnect the AC power adapter, remove the battery, and then press and hold the power button for at least 15 seconds.
Reconnect the AC power adapter (but do not connect the battery), Press the Power button, Look for glowing LEDs near caps lock and num lock keys, and Listen for sounds of a disk drive and fan turning.
If no error message is displayed:
Connect an external monitor to test the display
Test for memory module problems
Test the hard drive
Contact HP for technical assistance
I hope this helps!
HP Recommended

Let me spook most of you! 
I just tried about everything that is on the forums, Reset, disconnecting memory etc etc. 

If that works for you - GREAT !!!

OTHERWISE - I can assure you that your motherboard has taken too much heat and likely your GPU-chip, or Video-Chip has lost contact on the solderpoints where it connects with the motherboard. This is a very common problem with laptops when the cooling gets less over the years due to dust, dirt, wear....  If one contact is loose on the mainboard then the PC will not start, boot at all. When pressing the Power-switch the system immediately goes in to fault, or block, since it detects a fail on the mainboard. (particularly AMD-processor types)

The resolution is to "fix" the solderpoints, or replace the motherboard/mainboard (expensive). There are 2 ways of doing this, but you will have to take your complete Pavilion apart !!! Only takes 1 screwdriver, a thin device like a guitar pick, or credit card and patience !!! Loon on Youtube for video's on how to take a g7 apart, there is also one good set of steps-pictures on a website.

Once you have the mainboard out - take the processor off with the fan, take all stickers off, the bios-battery and place it straight on alumnium foil. Pre-Heat your oven on 200 celsius, place the board in for 9 minutes. Let it cool off enough (pretty hot!!!) .... and put all together again. That is your last resort, hope, chance of getting some more milage out of your g7 !!!  No warranty of course, HP will never recommend this, or support this... BUT when all is lost, and little hope left.... just try it before throwing your laptop in the garbage !  By the way - if you do so, always take out your HD drive since you can get your data from the disc still !!!

Look for video instruction on Youtube on keywords "soldering, pavillion, motherboard, oven" and how dissassemble HP Pavilion g7 - again it is your last hope ! No guarantees ! 

HP Recommended
Hey my HP pavilion g7 series is telling me I'm missing my operating system and I want to reboot it. How do I do this?
HP Recommended

hp pav g7 1075dx,done all the troubleshoots, no beeps and tested ram sticks. back slot-no screen , front ram slot turn on and caps/numbers lock flash either 3 long 2 short or 5 blinks. same ram stick in the back ram slot no flashing lights-only the power and amber wifi lights are on.  still no screen. 

HP Recommended

Hello,

Thank you for posting in this thread. Unfortunately based on when the last response was made, I have closed this thread to help keep comments current and up to date. We recommend starting a new thread for your issue by clicking here.
To be more helpful with your post, you can add key information if you desire: 
1. Product Name and Number (please do not post Serial Number)
• Example: HP Pavilion DV2-1209AX or HP Deskjet 3000 Printer CH393A
2. Operating System installed (if applicable)
• Example: Windows XP, Windows Vista 32-bit, Windows 7 64-bit
3. Error message (if any)
• Example: ""Low disk space"" error in Windows
4. Any changes made to your system before the issue occurred
• Examples: Upgrading your Operating System or installing a new software; or installing new hardware like a printer, modem, or router.
If you have any other questions about posting in the community, please feel free to send me a private message!

Thank you

I work on behalf of HP
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.