Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion 14-ce1511sa

Hi!  My HP laptop intermittently will not boot with behaviour as follows:

- Blank screen with flashing caps lock LED

- Turning on and off it eventually boots - sometimes after 6 or 7 attempts

- Leaving overnight it often boots up first time

- Removing the RAM module and putting it back in often solves the problem

- While using, sometimes the screen goes blank with multi-coloured pixels cycling at the very top

- Occasionally when using I get the blue Windows screen "Your device ran into a problem and we need to restart...Stop code : KERNEL_SECURITY_CHECK_FAILURE

Any ideas?  Help will be much appreciated!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi @tonyb4747,

Welcome to HP Support Community.

Thank you for posting your query, I will be glad to help you.

Based on the symptoms you've described, it sounds like there could be several potential issues causing the intermittent booting problem with your HP Pavilion laptop. Here are a few things you can try to troubleshoot and potentially resolve the issue.

• Check RAM Module: Since removing and reseating the RAM module sometimes solves the problem, it's possible that the RAM module or the RAM slot itself could be faulty. Try cleaning the contacts on the RAM module and the slot with compressed air and reseat the RAM firmly in place.
  • Test with Different RAM: If possible, try using a different RAM module to see if the issue persists. This can help determine if the problem lies with the RAM itself.
  • Check for Overheating: Overheating can cause various issues, including system instability and random shutdowns. Make sure the laptop's vents are not blocked and that the cooling fan is functioning properly. You can also use monitoring software to check the temperature of your laptop components.
  • Update Drivers and BIOS: Ensure that all device drivers and the laptop's BIOS are up to date. Outdated drivers or BIOS can sometimes cause compatibility issues and system instability.
  • Run Hardware Diagnostics: Most HP laptops come with built-in hardware diagnostics tools that you can access during startup. Use these tools to perform comprehensive tests on your laptop's hardware components, including the RAM, CPU, and hard drive.
  • Check for System File Corruption: The KERNEL_SECURITY_CHECK_FAILURE error could indicate issues with system files or drivers. You can try running the System File Checker tool (sfc /scannow) in Command Prompt as an administrator to scan and repair corrupted system files.
  • Check for Malware: It's also possible that malware or viruses could be causing the instability. Run a full antivirus scan using reputable antivirus software to check for any malicious software.
  • Reset or Reinstall Windows: If none of the above steps resolve the issue, you may need to consider resetting or reinstalling Windows. This can help rule out any software-related issues that could be causing the problem.

I hope this helps.

Take care and have a good day.

Please click “Accepted Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos/Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Alden4

HP Support 

I am an HP Employee.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

Hi @tonyb4747,

Welcome to HP Support Community.

Thank you for posting your query, I will be glad to help you.

Based on the symptoms you've described, it sounds like there could be several potential issues causing the intermittent booting problem with your HP Pavilion laptop. Here are a few things you can try to troubleshoot and potentially resolve the issue.

• Check RAM Module: Since removing and reseating the RAM module sometimes solves the problem, it's possible that the RAM module or the RAM slot itself could be faulty. Try cleaning the contacts on the RAM module and the slot with compressed air and reseat the RAM firmly in place.
  • Test with Different RAM: If possible, try using a different RAM module to see if the issue persists. This can help determine if the problem lies with the RAM itself.
  • Check for Overheating: Overheating can cause various issues, including system instability and random shutdowns. Make sure the laptop's vents are not blocked and that the cooling fan is functioning properly. You can also use monitoring software to check the temperature of your laptop components.
  • Update Drivers and BIOS: Ensure that all device drivers and the laptop's BIOS are up to date. Outdated drivers or BIOS can sometimes cause compatibility issues and system instability.
  • Run Hardware Diagnostics: Most HP laptops come with built-in hardware diagnostics tools that you can access during startup. Use these tools to perform comprehensive tests on your laptop's hardware components, including the RAM, CPU, and hard drive.
  • Check for System File Corruption: The KERNEL_SECURITY_CHECK_FAILURE error could indicate issues with system files or drivers. You can try running the System File Checker tool (sfc /scannow) in Command Prompt as an administrator to scan and repair corrupted system files.
  • Check for Malware: It's also possible that malware or viruses could be causing the instability. Run a full antivirus scan using reputable antivirus software to check for any malicious software.
  • Reset or Reinstall Windows: If none of the above steps resolve the issue, you may need to consider resetting or reinstalling Windows. This can help rule out any software-related issues that could be causing the problem.

I hope this helps.

Take care and have a good day.

Please click “Accepted Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos/Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Alden4

HP Support 

I am an HP Employee.
HP Recommended

Thanks - I've updated the bios and will try some different ram

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.