Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Pavillion
Microsoft Windows 10 (32-bit)

Hello

I have HP Pavilion Laptop. It was working fine and was on low battery and i shut down, When I restarted after plugging with AC adapter, it trurned on for few seconds and powered off by itself. I tried again, it got switched on but again powered of itself.

now it does not power on with ticking sound.

i took out battery and i can see model no. as 15-p028TU

CAN YOU PLS HELP

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

@Jayr5 

Sorry, I don't understand what you're saying.

Are you claiming that it is making a "ticking sound"? It can't do that while stone dead; it has to power up to make that sound.

Please explain in more detail what is happening.

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
HP Recommended

Thanks for your comments.

It is working for the time being after I pulled the wire (that connets to electricity outlet) from the charger and inserted back again. I did few times and then it started working.

However, once a while laptop is switching-off by itself and then I repeat the same process (as explained above) to power on the laptop.

I have run the HP PC hardware diagnostic and the components test shows both battery check and AC adapter test "Passed". So I am not sure why laptop is going off sometimes and there is a ticking sound combined with not powering on, till I play around with the wire as explained above.

hope it clarifies.

cheers

HP Recommended

@Jayr5 

If it is making the ticking sound while powering up, that is a bad sign because that is most likely "seek errors" on the hard drive, and that indicates it is failing.

If your PC is new enough to support UEFI, you can use these steps to test the hard drive: http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c00439024

If not, to check the drive you have to follow these steps:
1) Press Esc key repeatedly, several times a second, while rebooting the laptop. Do NOT hold the key down, just press it over and over.
2) Eventually, you will see an HP Startup Menu -- that will look similar to the image below
HP Startup Menu.jpg
3) press the Function key for testing the hard drive (usually F2) and let it run.

HP Recommended

Thanks for your advice.

I have done the extensive test and all results came as passed.

cheers

HP Recommended

@Jayr5 

OK, so a failing drive is the most obvious issue and that does not appear to be the case.

Another possibility is a electric discharge in the case, and if that is happening, it could be dangerous.

If you can, you should see about taking the laptop to someplace local so they can check it out.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.