Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Pavilion x360
Microsoft Windows 8 (64-bit)

Got this Pavilion x360 from a recently deceased neighbor.  Will not boot properly.  If I hit ESC it returns message on screen that says Startup Paused and nothing happens.

If I press F10 I get message F10 BIOS Settings but nothing happens.

I suspect the SSD is corrupt or ???   

I tried resetting computer (sealed battery type) but nothing changed.

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

@TRooney95648 

The Esc message indicates that the HP Startup Menu will appear if you press that, so you need to let it time out in order for Windows to boot.

If the message goes away and you then see no messages on the screen, that means that the hard drive, or SSD (if it has one) is shot and needs to be replaced.

If your PC is new enough to support UEFI, you can use these steps to test the hard drive: http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c00439024

If not, the next time you get the Esc message, select the option in the list to run diagnostics, usually F2.

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
HP Recommended

Nothing actually happens when I press the various keys.

ESC brings up ESC....Pause Startup

F2 brings up  F2...Startup Check

F10 brings up  F10...BIOS Startup Options

I thought it was a bad hard drive or SSD.  Thanks for confirming my suspicion. Now to see if it's worth the $$$ to fix.

Terry

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.