Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended
HP Pavillion Notebook Core i5
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I've had an issue where the laptop will freeze ever since I bought it. (March in 2016) The laptop will randomly lose connection to the internet or a game I'm  playing, shows I dont have any wifi, and then freezes the screen infinitely, until I give it a force shut down by holding the power button.

Ive tried many solutions to this, such as deleting apps that I thought could be the problem, including Discord, Razer Synapse, and Bonjour by Apple. Ive tried messing with the settings, but that doesn't have any effect.

How often does it occur?

So it hasnt happened in a few weeks, but when I deleted discord and Razer Synapse thats when it stopped happening the most. Although I believe these are only temporary solutions as it has happened 3 times since I deleted the app. I would really like to find a solution and know what is causing this so that I can freely reinstall discord if its a fixable problem. If it is not, then i wont have discord on my computer for a long time, even though it is evidently not the cause of the problem, but it's not helping it either.

Thanks for your time. If you have any questions or solutions for me please don't hesitate to ask!

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@RapidCombo

Good Day. A warm welcome to the HP community. I reviewed the case regarding issues with the computer. I will be delighted to assist you here.

First, let's start with performing a hard reset on the PC to release any excessive static/power that could have caused the issue. 

  

Turn off the computer. 

Disconnect all external connected peripheral devices such as USB storage devices, external displays, and printers. 

Unplug the AC adapter from the computer. 

Press and hold down the Power button for about 15 seconds to drain any residual electrical charge from the capacitors that protect the memory. 

Press the Power button to turn on the computer. 

If a startup menu opens, use the arrow keys to select Start Windows Normally, and then press the Enter key. 

  

Second, you can check if there is Bios update available for your PC, here is the link to download. 

  

Performing a test on the Hard drive as well as on the Memory from the Hardware diagnostics:  
1) Shutdown the computer.  
2) Turn the computer back on again and repeatedly tap on the ESC until a Startup menu appears.  
3) Press F2 once for System Diagnostics.  
4) Go to Component test.  
5) Run extensive Memory and Hard Drive test.   

Depending on the test results, If the test passes then I would suggest you perform a complete system recovery.  

Note: Recovery will wipe off everything from the computer. If you have anything important get in touch with some local stores to get your data backed up. 

  

Click here to know: How to perform each step. 

  

For more details, you can try these documents as well. 

  

Computer Is Slow (Windows 10)

Keep me posted. 🙂

Barachiel
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hey man thanks a lot for the reply. Just to let you know, and I'm sorry I forgot to mention it in my last post, but I have already tried the full system reset about a year ago where everything is wiped off my computer, and I had no problems for a while, and then it started having problems again.

Although I do plan to try the things you were saying to do, and if i find no problems with the system during the testing, would you recommend I reinstall discord to see if it still freezes? As I said, i know discord isnt the problem but it makes the pc freeze more frequently. Thanks for your time.

HP Recommended

@RapidCombo

Thanks for the response.

As I mentioned earlier, please try running a complete hardware test.

Let me know. 🙂

Barachiel
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.