Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Elite x2 G4
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello, I have reinstalled my OS but the pre-boot got the old details of previous installation.
So  I performed reset of the security settings to the defaults.
Then under the Windows I tried to reenable all the settings including preboot authentication but that thrown me an error. 
Once I rebooted the machine I ended up with pre-boot being turned on but the user is not mine.
So currently it is XXXX\new user, and the password is unknown to me.

IS there any default password being set by the HP Security Manager, or how to bypass the screen?
Unit is under warranty, but I would like to avoid sending it to service..

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Btw. If not clear.. the "new user" is not my user.. and there is no such system user. It magically got set when I tried to reenable the security settings.

Tried Esc, F10.. but all got stuck on that authentication.
There is no BIOS password specified as it got wiped out with the "Restore security settings to default". If not, I know the previous BIOS password, but not able to bypass that Power-On Authentication.

HP Recommended

Hah, seems I have the same issue: https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Boot-and-Lockup/Power-on-Authentication-Failure/td-p/6973794

I already contacted local HP support this morning but after 30 minutes with technician on, they were not able to give me any answer other than "it is password issue and we don't know if the machine is yours" - great, in the BIOS the service tag is set to my name, I have invoice with my name on it.. 

But also they told me to wait, and they will contact me back..

HP Recommended

Got called back, and I have two options:
- visit local HP Business Support Service center that is "next" to me,

- send the unit via HP support.

Not great, my previous faulty Elite X2 G4 unit was under service for 3 months (with 10 working days turn around service pack). After that time finally the unit got replaced to the brand new one, that just got bricked by HP Security Manager.. 

As a previous owner of multiple HP devices I'm greatly disappointed with the latest quality..  my mom still uses my old - 10years old - HP Elite 8540p unit and I'm stuck with Z640 workstation.. and never before had so much problems with devices 😞

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.