Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Spectre x360 15 (2017 Gen.)
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I got my HP spectre back near the end of 2017, and I used it for literally almost anything so I have accumulated quite a bit of data on it. It has never had any issues what so ever until I tried to use it a few days ago. I had not used the laptop for about a month and a half and it has been unplugged from power supply ever since. The moment I turn it on, it acts like it is getting ready, then it will try to go into recovery mode, but it always shuts off before it finishes... and then turns on by itself to try again. It continues to do this until I hard reset it or it just dies on it's own. It get's to the point where it keeps going and just overheats itself. 

I have unplugged the battery, reset the BIOS, but I have to be quick with everything before it shuts off and restarts again. Geek squad said it might be a motherboard issue, but I just wanted to get a second opinion before spending money to replace the motherboard. Especially for such an expensive product. 

Is the OS corrupted maybe? When I run diagnostic tests, everything always passes. I can't seem to access anything Windows related though.

Any help is appreciated, I rely on this laptop too much for things and really do not have the money to get a new one.

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

Hi,

If you do not care about data much, reset OS via pressing F11 after power on your notebook.

Alternatively, you can use HP Cloud Recovery : https://support.hp.com/in-en/document/c06162205

or Microsoft media Creation tool (refer section "Create Windows 10 installation media"): https://www.microsoft.com/en-in/software-download/windows10

If required, suggest to contact HP Support via call or HP Support Assistant support options.

Thanks & Regards

VG

Please remember to mark the answers this can help other users:
please click on the accept as solution button if message provided an answer to the problem

Thanks & Regards
VG
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.