Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended

Hi @The_Fossette,

I have previously performed a refresh (see this thread) but this problem re-appeared.

I guess I could try again... maybe it was some software I installed immediately after the refresh?

I could attempt to isolate by not installing anything after a refresh and see if the BugChecks re-occur?

I will post back here in a while.

Regards,

@BashingDinosaur

HP Recommended

Hi @BashingDinosaur

I want you to perform a recovery, not a reset. Recovery will put the computer back to its original factory settings.

Please follow the steps in the article I have provided.

Keep me posted how it goes.

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi @The_Fossette

Ah, I see.  Yes, what you call a Recovery - I have already done.  I completely wiped all files, documents and programs when performing my previous refresh and went back to factory initial state.  I installed some programs I require after the recovery, so maybe these are causing the problems.  I will Factory Reset (Recovery) and then not install anything and see if the problems occur again.

Regards,

@BashingDinosaur

HP Recommended

Hi @BashingDinosaur,

I reviewed the post comprehensively. Excellent effort, great attitude and splendid troubleshooting were displayed to try and resolve the issue. hats off to you for a job well done. 🙂 As @the_Fossette is out of office for the day, I am jumping in to assist you.

Please try these steps.

• Please perform a recovery first.
  • Then do not install anything yet.
  • Only update windows with its latest updates.
  • Then wait for a few days to check if the blue screen of death appears.
  • If it does not, then please install one software application at a time and check if any application causes the blue screen. That app could be the culprit. You could avoid installing that specific app.
  • After a few days please update the bios,chipset and graphics drivers from this link: http://hp.com/drivers Please select the country and follow the onscreen instructions to update it. Please check periodically for blue screens and you should be able to find out what causes the blue screen.
  • We are eliminating the issue to being hardware or software related as there is more to it than meets the eye. 

If the blue screen appears immediately after a system recovery to factory settings without installing any programs or apps, then the computer certainly has a hardware issue and needs to be serviced.

Please contact Hp phone support to get this done.

HP Technical Support can be reached by clicking on the following link: http://h22207.www2.hp.com/us-en/?openCLC=true

(1) Once the support page opens please select the country in which you're located. Next, enter your HP model number on the right.

(2) Next, choose the 'Contact Support' tab at the top and scroll down to the bottom of the 'HP Support- Contact' page to fill out the form provided with your contact information.

(3) Once completed click the 'Show Options' icon on the bottom right.

(4) Lastly, scroll down to the bottom of the page and select 'Get phone number.' A case number and phone number will now populate for you.

They will be happy to assist you immediately. If the unit is under warranty repair services is taken care of by the manufacturer’s warranty

Hope this helps. Let me know how this goes. I genuinely hope the issue gets resolved without hassles and the unit works great.

To simply say thanks, please click the "Thumbs Up" button to give me a Kudos to appreciate my efforts to help. If this helps, please mark this as “Accepted Solution” as it will help several others with the same issue to get it resolved without hassles.

Take care now and have a superb week ahead. 🙂

DavidSMP
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended
Hi @DavidSMP,

Thanks for your response. I've performed a factory reset and not installed any software. I'll use the laptop for basic web browsing and music playback via Web for a few days and see if this ever gets a BSOD.

No problems using it last night for about 5 hours, so maybe it was the software I installed. I hope it was because I love this laptop!

I installed a few games via Steam which I guess might bring down older versions of DirectX or something. We'll see...

Cheers,
@BashingDinosaur

HP Recommended

Hi @DavidSMP,

I got a BugCheck today with a pretty much fresh system:

BAD_POOL_HEADER, 0x00000019, registry.sys+1318e, ntoskrnl.exe+14ec00

I had installed the MS OneNote app from the store, and the following updates:

2017-05 Security Update for Adobe Flash Player for Windows 10 Version 1607 for x64-based Systems (KB4020821)

2017-05 Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1607 for x64-based Systems (KB4019472)

Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool for Windows 8, 8.1, 10 and Windows Server 2012, 2012 R2, 2016 x64 Edition - May 2017 (KB890830)

2017-05 Update for Windows 10 Version 1607 for x64-based Systems (KB3150513)

I guess I need to start the process of servicing the laptop via HP as you describe?

Best regards,

@BashingDinosaur

HP Recommended

Hi @MicrosofT Windows 10 (64-bit),

I reviewed the post. You've done commendable troubleshooting. You've displayed a lion's heart and terrific attitude to try and resolve the issue. Kudos to you for that. 🙂

Please contact Hp phone support to try and get the unit fixed. 

It has been an absolute privilege to have worked with you and to share this platform with you.:) I thank you greatly for that. I Trust me I've done all I can to help here and I genuinely hope things work great for you. 🙂

Keep me posted.

To simply say thanks, please click the "Thumbs Up" button to give me a Kudos to appreciate my efforts to help. If this helps, please mark this as “Accepted Solution” as it will help several others with the same issue to get it resolved without hassles. 🙂

You take care, stay healthy, keep smiling big and do have a blessed year ahead. 🙂

DavidSMP
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi @DavidSMP,

Thank you for your support on this issue and your kind words.  I also would like to thank @The_Fossette support also.  I shall attempt to return the device by the method you described.

Best regards,

@BashingDinosaur

HP Recommended

Hi @BashingDinosaur,

It has been a fabulous experience working with you. 🙂 I thank you greatly for accepting this as a solution. 🙂 You've been simply amazing with your technical expertise and thanks again for giving me the privilege to share this platform with you. 🙂

I hope the unit works great and stays healthy for a long time. 🙂

To simply say thanks, please click the "Thumbs Up" button to give me a Kudos to appreciate my efforts to help.  

Please take care, stay healthy, keep smiling big and do have a blessed year ahead. 🙂

DavidSMP
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi,

I would just like to update this thread and state that I have replaced the laptop with an identical model and the new one has no problems whatsoever.   No bugchecks / BSODs have been seen in 4 days of use.

Problem solved.

Regards,

BashingDinosaur

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.