Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Spectre x360 15t-ch000 CTO
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Recently, I updated my HP Spectre x360 15t to the latest Windows feature update 1903 through the Windows Update utility. During installation, the only "issue" I encountered was that the update screen was glitched, but the installation proceeded without any other issues. 

However, the other day when I went to shut down from Windows, my computer encountered an error. I received the BSOD, which gave me the error of "UNEXPECTED_KERNEL_MODE_TRAP" relating to "FLTMGR.SYS". As one would expect, the computer collects all the information it needs and proceeds to reboot without any issues (except the login screen now takes more time to appear then it did on 1809). Obviously, this is annoying because it only happens when I am trying to SHUT DOWN the computer. Luckily, I have a dual boot of Ubuntu installed, which I can boot into and shut down the computer from.

I have attempted multiple troubleshooting steps to resolve the kernel error but to no avail. 

I ran sfc /scannow, the system memory check, and just updated the BIOS to F31. Both returned that the system was functioning perfectly, and the bios update did not resolve the error.

While researching how to resolve this error, I read that the kernel trap error can be triggered when drivers are not up to date. Due to the fact that it now takes the login screen more time to load up and display than previously, could it be that the Radeon RX Vega M driver (from Q1 2018) is causing this issues?  

If anyone else is having this issue or has any suggestions on how to resolve it, it would be greatly appreciated. 

TL;DR: Updated to Windows 1903, attempting to shut down gives error code "UNEXPECTED_KERNEL_MODE_TRAP" relating to "FLTMGR.SYS", system reboots. Additionally, time from boot up to login screen display has increased from previous windows update. Possible Radeon RX Vega M driver issue?

Sincerely, 

NoSafeBrain2

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@NoSafeBrain2

I suggest you download and run the HP Support Assistant from this Link: https://www8.hp.com/us/en/campaigns/hpsupportassistant/hpsupport.html?jumpid=va_r602_us/en/any/psg/p...

HPSA will automatically search for all the latest drivers for your Notebook

1. Click My devices in the top menu, and then click Updates in the My PC or My notebook panel.

Click Updates in the My notebook pane

2. Click Check for updates and messages to scan for new updates.

Updates list in HP Support Center

3. Review the list of updates. Updates with a yellow information icon are recommended. Updates with a blue information icon are optional.

4. Click the update name for a description, version number, and file size.

5. Select the box next to any updates you want to install, and then click Download and install.

Also ensure Windows is up to date.

Select the Start  button, and then go to Settings  > Update & security  > Windows Update , and select Check for updates. If Windows Update says your device is up to date, you have all the updates that are currently available

Keep me posted how it goes

Thank you and have a wonderful day 😊

If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the "Solution Accepted" on this Post and it will also help other community members with similar issue.

KrazyToad
I Am An HP Employee

HP Recommended

KrazyToad,

I already have the HP Support Assistant downloaded and even after checking for updates on both Windows Update and HP Support Assistant, there were no available updates. I regularly check for updates, so this is not surprising. 

Sincerely,

NoSafeBrain2

HP Recommended

@NoSafeBrain2

Let's run the SFC Scan.

System File Checker is a utility in Windows 10 that checks for problems with files on your computer.

• Make sure you've installed the latest updates for Windows 10, and then restart your machine. To find out more, read Update Windows 10.
  • In the search box on the taskbar, type Command Prompt, and right-click or press and hold Command Prompt (Desktop app) from the list of results. Select Run as administrator, and then select Yes.
  • Type DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth (note the space before each "/"), and then press Enter. (Note: This step may take a few minutes to start and up to 30 minutes to complete.)
  • After you see a message that says "The operation completed successfully," type sfc /scannow (note the space between "sfc" and "/") and press Enter.
  • After you see a message that says, "Verification 100% complete," type exit.

Link: https://support.microsoft.com/en-in/help/4026529/windows-10-using-system-file-checker

You can aslo run a system test to confirm the Hardware Functionality

- Shut down the Notebook completely
- Turn it back on, then tap the Esc key repeatedly until the Startup menu screen is displayed.
- Press F2 to select System Diagnostics.
- Click System Tests

If all the Tests pass you can check with a New User Account. Refer to this Link: https://support.microsoft.com/en-in/help/4026923/windows-10-create-a-local-user-or-administrator-acc...

If the issue persists, I suggest you try a Reset. Please follow the instructions in this Link: https://support.hp.com/in-en/document/c04742289

If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the "Solution Accepted" on this Post and it will also help other community members with similar issue.

KrazyToad
I Am An HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.