cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents and videos on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents and videos on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
cdthoms
2 1 0 0
Message 1 of 4
Flag Post

HP Spectre x360 Randomly Shuts Down without Warning

HP Recommended
Spectre x360 15-ch011dx
Microsoft Windows 10 (32-bit)

I've got a 15" HP Spectre x360 laptop. It's now 16 months old, so past the warranty. At the 13 month mark, the computer shut down without warning and then would not restart. I plug in the power and see the LED light on. When I press the power button, the LED light for the power button comes on and I hear the fans start, but the screen remains black and all activity ceases after about 2 seconds. Initially when I had this problem, I took it to an authorized service center. They were going to try to save all my data and re-install windows, only when they tried the computer, about a week after the initial problem it booted up completely fine. The computer worked totally fine for about a week after that and then the same problem happened again. I took it back to the shop, this time after a month, due to scheduling constraints, and again they go to re-install and it works fine again. This pattern has continued until now.

The computer randomly shuts down. I try booting it once a day after the initial shut down and it usually takes a week before it will start up again, then it will work for a week or two and then shut down without warning again. This does not seem like normal behavior even out of warranty. What are my options for a fix?

3 REPLIES 3
KrazyToad
Retired
Retired
22,744 19,075 1,375 1,463
Message 2 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@cdthoms

I have gone through your Post and I understand your concerns

I suggest you run an Extensive system Test to confirm the Hardware Functionality

- Shut down the Notebook completely
- Turn it back on, then tap the Esc key repeatedly until the Startup menu screen is displayed.
- Press F2 to select System Diagnostics.
- Click System Tests, then click Extensive Test.

Keep me posted

KrazyToad
I Am An HP Employee

Was this reply helpful? Yes No
cdthoms
Author
2 1 0 0
Message 3 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I can't even get to the point where the Startup menu is displayed. I press the power button and the light comes on for about 2 seconds and then everything completely shuts down. In the past, if I don't turn on the computer for a few weeks it will eventually start up again. It's been about two weeks now and I've tried again and it still will not boot up.

KrazyToad
Retired
Retired
22,744 19,075 1,375 1,463
Message 4 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@cdthoms

Thanks for keeping me posted

At this point I suggest you contact HP Support for Service Options

Click on this link - www.hp.com/contacthp/ and select your Country to get the Contact details for HP Support

Thank you

KrazyToad
I Am An HP Employee

Warning Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation