Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended

TexasOld Dog,

Thanks for the response.

When I press ON button, at the keyboard, wifi light changes from orange to white (active).   The screen also does the re-start vibrate.   Lately (more than half the time) everything works like the malfunction does not exist (success turn-on rate has improved, but also using less).    The idea of a loose cable kind of makes sense and I will try to check to see if it is loose and hopefully that will fix the non-starts ups.  If the problem returns, I’ll take advantage of the occurrence and do the other display panel test.

Related question:   The bezel on my Split X2 is like black tape.   I suspect that once I remove it, it may not adhere well back again.   I think is no big deal.   One can always leave it as is or try a double sided tape.   Have you seen that “black tape” version of bezel in the past?   Thoughts? 

HP Recommended

Hello again Ex-Parte,

Not sure about the bezel, it's been awile since I worked on that laptop and I can't remember the details.  Here are the links to the service manuals which should tell you how to open the top lid.

The system I fixed was a HP Split 13-g100 x2 PC (PN - E8C34UAR#ABA)

1.  There seems to be 2 different types of tablet/display cases.  Here are the links to download the service manuals for each and determine which one applies to you.

www.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c03958968.pdf

(instruction to open bottom case on page 45)

(browse for instructions to open top display lid)

and

www.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c04273417.pdf

(instructions to open bottom case on page 39)

(browse for instructions to open top display lid)

Its good that the laptop turns on even if the screen does not.  Again, check both connectors and press on the back of the display panel itself to narrow down the problem.  Good luck.

Texas Old Dog

HP Recommended

I believe that I am having a very similar problem.  Although with a twist.  When I plug the power supply into the computer the keyboard charges fine light turns white when fully charged.  However as soon as I connect the tablet to the keyboard then the power like goes dark and the tablet does nothing .  Did you have this sort of problem also or is it completely separate.  And was it possible to power up the device before putting it all back together so that you know it works before reassembling.  

Also has anyone gotten a quote from HP on their repair costs.  If I can't fix it I'm thinking it would be a wash with getting a new one with a warranty or refurbished if there is such a thing.

Anyways glad I found this discussion and if you could answer one more question how did you find the service guide?  I had been looking but think I missed the obvious.  

HP Split Service Manual

HP Recommended

I just had an estimate from HP through my local computer gurus, that couldn't figure out why my X2 wouldn't turn on.  $349.00.  I just about fell out!  Hubby bought this piece of junk in July of 2013 for me as a birthday present.  Im going to take it apart tomorrow.  Figure I can't mess it up anymore than it already is.  Thanks for posting these fixes and cross your fingers and toes for me. 🙂

HP Recommended

HP split repairhpsplit repair (1).JPG

Great info and spot on repair. I narrowed down the blank screen puzzle by hooking up to a tv monitor but had no idea what to do from there. Thanks again! My tablet frame is constructed a little different. Same 4 screws to remove  but I had to work a thin piece of plastic around the side edges and top in order and carefully coax the back off. In the second photo , X marks the loose connection. Clear packing tape seemed to do the trick. All together it was not a difficult process but time and patience is the way to go. Thanks again! Tommy King

HP Recommended
Ok, so I took it apart and tightened everything I could find and nothing worked so it's going in the target practice pile.
HP Recommended

This worked for me (HP Split 13 x 2 PC).

Thanks.

HP Recommended

THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU!....I thought this Split was going to become another unused technological toy once the screen went black and would not come back on.  I  have never opened a tablet, but your insturctions and that of the manual that you referred me to in your post made it easy...although a bit nerve wracking for my first time.  Your description led me right to the unplugged connector and voila!...it is working and back together as good as new.....Did I say Thank You?

HP Recommended

I never in my life thought this would be such a common problem.  I'm just happy I could help you out.  If you're ever in Texas let me know 🙂

HP Recommended

This fix rocks!  Great job.  

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.