Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended

Thank you for the reply, CherylG.

From reading the thread, you can see that I changed the boot order to get it to boot from the USB drive - it will begin to load (you can see the Windows 10 "circling dots", then the comannd prompt window will flash, then a blank BSOD. Plus, it will boot ubuntu from a USB drive with no problem.

HP Recommended

7-25-18 update:

Nothing seemed to work, so it came down to the nuclear option: wipe and fresh install.

1) wiped with DBAN.

2) installed Windows 8.1 from USB. 

Now , Device Manager shows no drivers and I can't use the Stream to get to the internet to get/update the drivers. When I previously went to the HP site, it asked for the model number of the Stream 11, and it says no updated drivers are available. I'm not looking for "updated" drivers, I need the "current" drivers.  How can I get them and install them on a machine that has none?

Patiently waiting for much needed help, 

WB_in_MD

HP Recommended

Odd that you could boot and install Windows 8.1 but not Windows 10.

I get a drivers page fully populated. If you are using a machine running something other than Windows 8.1 the site may be auto-detecting the OS.

https://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/hp-stream-11-d000-notebook-pc/7372144/model/7538969

**Click Accept as Solution on a Reply that solves your issue**
***Click the "YES" button if you think this response was helpful.***

HP Recommended

Hi, Cheryl_G:

Thanks again.  I went to the link on a Dell running Windows 7: this is what I saw in 2 snips of the screen:

This is most of the top of the  page . . .This is most of the top of the page . . .. . . and this is most of the next portion of the pagge.. . . and this is most of the next portion of the pagge.

(Sorry about the misspelling!)

When you say you get a page that is fully populated, do mean a list of the drivers and the divices they control? Are there links for each of the drivers? If so, can you somehow send me the list with the respective links?

HP Recommended

@WB_in_MD

Yes, it is all of the drivers. Give me a few minutes to collect direct download links and I will post them here.

How did you finally get the Stream to boot from Windows 8.1 USB when it wouldn't boot from the Windows 10 usb?

HP Recommended

I will just post what I think you need to get internet working and the screen bearable Then you can visit the drivers page using the Stream to finish up.

Intel Chipset:

https://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp69001-69500/sp69095.exe

Realtek wireless:

https://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp69501-70000/sp69888.exe

Intel Graphics:

https://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp69001-69500/sp69100.exe

HP Recommended

At first, it would not boot from either Win 10 nor Win 8.1 - it wasn't until I wiped the on board storage (the so-called "C:\ drive") that it fully booted from the USB Win 8.1.  (Note:  I kinda messed things up. During disabling Secure Boot, enabling Legacy Boot, and changing the boot order in the BIOS, I somehow accidently erased/deleted the UEFI and with it went the HP PC Hardware Diagnostics. Any thoughts on somehow getting all that back?

HP Recommended

Were you able to download the drivers posted above?

Hardware Diagnostics:

http://www8.hp.com/us/en/campaigns/hpsupportassistant/pc-diags.html

HP Recommended

CherylG:

Thank you for the links to those specific drivers!  Using anothe PC, I was able to download them to a USB and install them on the Stream. I was then able to access the internet via wifi (I didn't realize the Stream had no ethernet/RJ-45 until I started to go plug it directly to my router!)

After the fresh install of Windows 8.1, the clickpad was not not working (a wired and a wireless mouse does work, however), even after downloading the only clickpad driver, it still does not work.  I then downloaded the HP PC Hardware Diagnostics - thank you, again!  I installed it and ran a Fast Test: all passed.  Then I ran a component test on the mouse/touchpad - it works during the the test.  I checked the Device Manager and it does not show the Synaptic Clickpad or Touchpad on any proprietary device; it does show several (4) generic HID-compliant mice (could this be because I tried downloading and installing the proper driver several times?)  It also shows nine (9) other 'Unknown devices". Well, I don't know what they are, either!  Any thoughts as to why it does not show and what's going on? Here's a picture of the questionable portions of the Device Manager:

Device Manager Snip v.1.JPG

HP Recommended

Did you install the drivers under Chipset? Audio? Card Reader?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.