cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents and videos on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents and videos on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
The HP Calculator Community Message Board is moving. While we prepare for the move, we are unable to accept new postings. During the move, you can look for help from other users by visiting https://www.hpmuseum.org/ . Or if you need technical support for your calculator visit: HP Calculators. .
Smoggy239
2 1 0 0
Message 1 of 3
Flag Post

HP Stream 14 3 long, 2 short blinks

HP Recommended
Stream 14-ax000na
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I'd appreciate some advice on a problem with a Stream 14-ax000na laptop. It was working fine until I updated the version of Windows 10 to allow an important update to be installed ( connected an external HDD as insufficient disk space on laptop) laptop continued to work ok,. Also tried to update Bios from a link on a HP Support Assistant notification, this failed "unknown location", also failed a second time  , laptop continued to work ok but failed to boot up the following morning . The only sign of life was the Caps Lock button LED flashing 3 long 2 short blinks. I've read various posts on here and HP support articles and have tried   15 sec power reset followed by power up and Windows key + B ( also Win +V ), pressing Esc or F10 on power up has no effect, I've also created a USB Bios recovery drive following the HP support procedure and that does not work either, the drive has 2 folders - Hewlett Packard and HP, both contain identical files, is this correct as the procedure only mentions a Hewlett Packard folder? I appreciate that the blink pattern indicates a memory problem but I'm suspicious that the attempted Bios update has caused the problem. Thanks

2 REPLIES 2
WAWood
Level 16
Level 16
34,607 27,043 3,123 6,757
Message 2 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@Smoggy239 

The HP info on the blink pattern says that if replacing the memory module does not fix the problem, then it is likely the system board -- and replacing that is very costly, even if you can find a replacement.

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
Was this reply helpful? Yes No
Smoggy239
Author
2 1 0 0
Message 3 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thanks for your reply, previous posts regarding this blink pattern have been RAM related, either changing, adding or reseating RAM but I wasn't sure whether it was a corrupted Bios or the RAM itself that was causing the problem in this case, especially given the fact that a Bios update failed "unknown location".  Is there a specific order to the checks that the Bios performs, i.e, a way of determining whether the Bios is functioning at all ?

Was this reply helpful? Yes No
Warning Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation