Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended

Hello everyone and thank you for reading this.

So I own an HP Pavillion DV6(EDIT: I believe its a dv6 6145dx) and it is NOT starting up. EDIT: Windows 7 Home Edition(I believe) 64 bit. 

What I mean is that it doesnt get pass the Windows loading screen after I hit "start up windows normally".

So I tried to figure out what the error was and I went into the bios and did a Hard Disk test. When I first did this it ended on the short test and said Hard Disk is Full Error 305.

I left it like that for a while(maybe 3 weeks) before I finally got around to fixing it. 

To fix it I got Linux onto a disc (Ubuntu to be exact) and started my computer up through the OS on the disc. I then cleared and deleted some files (music,old games) that I didnt need anymore in hopes that it would fix the error.

So I tried to boot it up again and it got the same problem as before, it couldnt get past the Windows loading screen.

I then went back into the bios and did the Hard Disk scan again. This time it got past the short test but did NOT pass the long test. The error message I got was Hard Disk Error 305.

Ive done a bit of searching(how I found this site actually) and I cant find a fix. Is my hard drive toast? Is there any easy fix? Should I reinstall Windows?

Thanks for reading and I would really appreciate any help.

Have a nice day. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi,

You're welcome :generic:

The fact that you can access data on the HDD via Ubuntu is pretty much what I would expect as the drive isn't having to run Windows, so you've greatly reduced the read/write load it's under - particularly if the fault is mechanical, this gives you a much better chance of just pulling off your data.

If you know your HDD manufacturer, visit their website as you should find a download to create a diagnostic disc/usb to further test the drive.

As for replacing the HDD, you're not restricted to any particular manufacturer, so as an example, the drive on the following link would be fine - ( One important aspect to note is not to replace the drive with one of a smaller capacity than the original, as this often causes problems when using Recovery Discs to reinstall the OS ).

750Gb 2.5" Sata II Hard Drive.

The replacement procedure can be found starting on Page 70 of your Maintenance & Service Guide.

Regards,

DP-K

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

****Click the White thumb to say thanks****
****Please mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem****
****I don't work for HP****

Windows Insider MVP

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

Hi,

The 305 error code is a litle misleading, but it refers to a failure of the comprehensive ( Full ) Disk Self Test and would indicate that the Hard Drive is failing and needs to be replaced.  This is also consistent with the start-up issue.

If your notebook is still under warranty, contact HP and arrange to have the drive replaced - you can check your warranty status Here.

If you live in the US, contact HP Here.

If you are in another part of the world, start Here.

If you are out of warranty and would like a guide on replacing the Hard Drive yourself, please let me know.

Regards,

DP-K

Windows Insider MVP

HP Recommended

Hey thanks for the reply, DavidPK it is much appreciated.

So does being able to use my computer through Linux on a CD mean nothing then? I just find it weird that I can start it and access the supposed errored hard drive on Linux but not on Windows. Is that consistent with other people who have the problem?

Changing the hard drive shouldnt be too much of an issue so I am not worried. 

How much will that cost for my machine?

HP Recommended

Hi,

You're welcome :generic:

The fact that you can access data on the HDD via Ubuntu is pretty much what I would expect as the drive isn't having to run Windows, so you've greatly reduced the read/write load it's under - particularly if the fault is mechanical, this gives you a much better chance of just pulling off your data.

If you know your HDD manufacturer, visit their website as you should find a download to create a diagnostic disc/usb to further test the drive.

As for replacing the HDD, you're not restricted to any particular manufacturer, so as an example, the drive on the following link would be fine - ( One important aspect to note is not to replace the drive with one of a smaller capacity than the original, as this often causes problems when using Recovery Discs to reinstall the OS ).

750Gb 2.5" Sata II Hard Drive.

The replacement procedure can be found starting on Page 70 of your Maintenance & Service Guide.

Regards,

DP-K

Windows Insider MVP

HP Recommended

Well thats some bad news then. Oh well. At least I can get my files off. 

Im going to try reinstalling Windows to see if that does anything(I dont think it will but it will save me some money).

Thanks for all your help, I really appreciate it. 

HP Recommended

I have the exact same problem.I bought a brand new hard drive(same size) reinstalled OS and the problem is still there on the new HD. I flashed the BIOs and still nothing????????

HP Recommended
I have hp pavilion g6 notebook...i can start my laptop and operate my all data that is available in but my laptop lot of hanging even sometime is it freezes and all task shows not responding error ... recently i have deleted all data which is present in my hard drive but still this problem continue when i performed diagnosis test i got 301 and 305 hard disk error ..haw can fix it??
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.