Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended
Compaq Presario CQ56
Linux

Hello,

I installed Lubuntu on an old Compaq laptop, because Windows 7 was very slow. But since a recent update, the BIOS doesn't recognise the Hard Disk. I have tried a few things : Re-installing GRUB, making a separated /boot partition, in order to get the boot files at the beginning of the disk... but nothing worked...

Sometimes, the HDD appears when I tap F9 on boot, an I can boot on Linux, but sometimes it's not detected...

The only way I found to have 100% chances of booting is going into BIOS settings, exit saving changes and reboot...

I thinks this may come from the BIOS, so I searched for an update but HP doesn't seem to provide any for this laptop...

So... If you have any Idea...

PS : Sorry if my English is bad, it's not my native language

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

It says your HDD has 237 reallocated sectors; a very high number of reallocated sectors. You need to get whatever data you can off that HDD. Your HDD is dying/undergoing imminent failure/in the process of becoming toast. Replacing it should fix your issue you're having, or atleast one of them. Also, when an HDD fails a self-test it's not usually a good sign. S.M.A.R.T. tests are not always accurate, but they provide good information to give you a pretty good idea about your HDD's health. Backup your data if you can ASAP. I'd say replacing an HDD isn't that expensive and is cheaper than replacing your computer's motherboard.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

https://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/compaq-presario-cq56-100-notebook-pc-series/4247498...

Since you suspect it could be BIOS-related, is this your specific CQ56 model? This link has BIOS version F.18 on HP's site for Windows 7 64-bit.

Also I suggest running a live Linux environment and running S.M.A.R.T. tests on that HDD and putting it in another laptop/PC to see if it's the HDD that's doing it and not the actual controller and or BIOS on your laptop.

HP Recommended

Being a Linux user myself, to run some S.M.A.R.T. tests, may I recommend Manjaro or Linux Mint? Both come with tools that allow you to run S.M.A.R.T. tests on your HDD from a live Linux boot.

HP Recommended

Has you issue been solved?

My Setup:
HP Notebook: HP 14-dk0028wm
Current Operating System: Ubuntu 20.04 LTS
HP Recommended

I can't see any files on the page you linked...

Thanks for the quick reply, I'll try this !

HP Recommended

So, here is what I have after starting the test :

Screenshot from 2020-07-12 13-54-20.png

I tried both quick and extended tests, but none of them worked... Does it mean the disk's almost dead or...?

Thanks again !

HP Recommended

It says your HDD has 237 reallocated sectors; a very high number of reallocated sectors. You need to get whatever data you can off that HDD. Your HDD is dying/undergoing imminent failure/in the process of becoming toast. Replacing it should fix your issue you're having, or atleast one of them. Also, when an HDD fails a self-test it's not usually a good sign. S.M.A.R.T. tests are not always accurate, but they provide good information to give you a pretty good idea about your HDD's health. Backup your data if you can ASAP. I'd say replacing an HDD isn't that expensive and is cheaper than replacing your computer's motherboard.

HP Recommended

Thanks a lot !

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.