Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended
HP Notebook - 15-ay016nr (ENERGY STAR)

After updating my laptop it was getting stuck in the Preparing Automatic Repair. I ran the hard drive quick test and the Hard drive short DST failed. I have the failure code. MAG03D-87VAKL-XD7X7G-60VA03. 

What are my next steps? Do I have to replace the hard drive? Can/how can I save the data on my laptop? How can I find out what Windows OS I have?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi:

Below is the failure report generated by the code you posted, minus your notebook's serial number.

Failure Information
Failure ID Tag Checksum HP Serial Number Test Date Failure Code Device Includes Error Message
MAG03D-87VAKL-XD7X7G-60VA03OK00000000004/26/21303StorageFloppy Drive, Hard Drive, Memory Drive, Optical Drive, SCSI, Tape DriveHard Disk 1 Quick Test Failure

You will need to install a new hard drive and reinstall the operating system.

Below is the link to the service manual, where you can find the hard drive removal and replacement procedure.

h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c05087748.pdf

You may want to consider replacing the 2.5" mechanical hard drive with a better performing 2.5" solid state drive (SSD).

After you replace the drive, using another Windows PC with W7 64 bit or newer installed, you can make a bootable USB recovery drive with the HP cloud recovery tool that will reinstall W10, the drivers and the software that originally came with your notebook.

Here is an info link for how to use that utility...

HP Consumer PCs - Using the HP Cloud Recovery Tool (Windows 10, 7) | HP® Customer Support

Data recovery from the failed hard drive...highly unlikely, but you can try this...

Buy a SATA to USB cable...something like this...

Amazon.com: SATA to USB Cable, Benfei USB 3.0 to SATA III Hard Driver Adapter w/UASP Compatible for ...

Plug one end into the failed drive and the other end into a working PC, and see if you can read/copy any files from the failed drive to the PC.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hi:

Below is the failure report generated by the code you posted, minus your notebook's serial number.

Failure Information
Failure ID Tag Checksum HP Serial Number Test Date Failure Code Device Includes Error Message
MAG03D-87VAKL-XD7X7G-60VA03OK00000000004/26/21303StorageFloppy Drive, Hard Drive, Memory Drive, Optical Drive, SCSI, Tape DriveHard Disk 1 Quick Test Failure

You will need to install a new hard drive and reinstall the operating system.

Below is the link to the service manual, where you can find the hard drive removal and replacement procedure.

h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c05087748.pdf

You may want to consider replacing the 2.5" mechanical hard drive with a better performing 2.5" solid state drive (SSD).

After you replace the drive, using another Windows PC with W7 64 bit or newer installed, you can make a bootable USB recovery drive with the HP cloud recovery tool that will reinstall W10, the drivers and the software that originally came with your notebook.

Here is an info link for how to use that utility...

HP Consumer PCs - Using the HP Cloud Recovery Tool (Windows 10, 7) | HP® Customer Support

Data recovery from the failed hard drive...highly unlikely, but you can try this...

Buy a SATA to USB cable...something like this...

Amazon.com: SATA to USB Cable, Benfei USB 3.0 to SATA III Hard Driver Adapter w/UASP Compatible for ...

Plug one end into the failed drive and the other end into a working PC, and see if you can read/copy any files from the failed drive to the PC.

HP Recommended

This fixed my problem. Now my laptop won’t connect to the wifi. Is this related to the new hard drive or another issue. My phone and TV are connected to the wifi and working without issues. Also the laptop can connect to my mobile hot spot but this can’t be a long term solution with working from home. 

HP Recommended

Did you install the wifi driver? 

That would be the only suggestion I can offer.

https://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp111001-111500/sp111389.exe

Also the Realtek RTL8723BE is a single band wifi card and only works on the 2.4 GHz wifi band.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.