Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Spectre 13-na004na
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

My just out of warranty hugely costly ultrabook has suddenly failed.  As I've seen on other threads, the hard drive is no longer detected and the laptop fails to boot up.  However, it sometimes allows me to hit F11 and enter the system recovery menu - I then select edit and boot into Windows and all is well. Until the BSOD his 3 and then the boot up issue returns. 

I've done system and component checks when I was able to boot into Windows and everything passed. It's definitely not the SSD but I have no idea what the issue could be - HDD cable, motherboard?

So 2 questions therefore:

1. Does anyone have a definitive solution to this issue (which seems more common than it should)?

2. How can I get in touch with HP as I'm really disappointed with the current situation given how expensive the laptop was?

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

@AceJase Welcome to HP Community!
Here's a list of steps you need to perform to resolve the issue:

Step 1: Perform a hard reset

HP Notebook PCs - Performing a Hard Reset or Forced Reset

Step 2: Restore BIOS default setting

Step 3: Test the hard drive using HP PC Hardware Diagnostics UEFI

Step 4: Reseat the hard drive (here's a video that shows how to re-seat the drive: Click here)

Step 5: If the tests pass, Perform an HP System Recovery

(If none of the above actions resolved the error condition, back up your personal data) and then perform an HP System Recovery on the notebook:

Click here for instructions.

Keep us posted,

If you would like to thank us for our efforts to help you, 

Give us a virtual high-five by clicking the 'Thumbs Up' icon below, followed by clicking on the "Accept as solution" on this post, 

Have a great day!

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi and thx for your response.

Unfortunately nothing seems to work and when I follow the various links regarding a hard reset etc of the machine, all seem to refer to a desktop. 

My main problem is that I can't get to the menu for troubleshooting as when I bring up the options menu - by pressing Esc repeatedly safety powering up - I press F11 and it still returns the response hard drive not found.  I'm therefore stuck in a loop that I can't move beyond. If anyone can help with getting beyond this, that'd  be great, as currently nothing I'm trying works.

I may have to try creating a Windows 10 bootable USB drive and booting from that but I'm not sure that I have my product key to hand as Windows 10 came preinstalled.  So the issue is that I might not be able to install Windows which creates a further, different problem.

HP Recommended

@AceJase

Appreciate you trying the steps. I'd suggest you Contact HP in your region regarding the service options for your computer.

If you are having trouble navigating through the above options, it's most likely because the device is out of warranty. If yes? please send me a private message with the region you are contacting us from. Check next to your profile Name, you should see a little blue envelope, please click on it.  

Have a great day! 

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Asmita
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thank you for your reply.  

I have PM'd you as requested.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.