Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended
Notebook 15
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

24 Digit error code:

9UQ47Q-7JGA57-XD7V6K-61CS03

Do I buy a new hard drive with this error and can I fix the drive?  Warranty expired.

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

Hi:

The error code reported, Hard Disk 1 Full Test Failure, means you will have to install a new hard drive and reinstall the operating system.  You can't fix the failed drive.

Below is the link to the service manual, where you can find the hard drive removal and replacement procedure.

http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c04886216

After you replace the drive, you can reinstall W10 for free by making bootable installation media using the media creation tool at the link below.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

When you get to the part of the installation that asks you to enter a product key, select the 'I don't have a product key' option, and W10 will install and automatically activate once you are connected to the intenet.

After W10 has completed installing, you can install the drivers and available software from your notebook's support page.

https://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/hp-15-g000-notebook-pc-series/6545564/model/7255458

HP Recommended

Hi Paul

You give some very valuable information in your reply, which should be public knowledge, along with the non nonsensical 12 digit code above. (In warranty or not). I thank you for this.

As it happens Monday saw the opening of "Non essential" shops and my repair shop came to the same conclusion you have, unable to even access the drive. I had come to this conclusion on Sunday and had attempted to extract the hard drive myself. Your manual will be very useful in future. Why does HP make it so difficult to swap drives around? Twenty odd screws to remove!

Today I bought near exact copy hard drive the "Maxtor Z1 SSD 480Gig" and had trouble mirroring or even seeing the new drive via USB ports. (Yes the original hard drive in a HP 15 is a HDD which would not be able to cope with the rugged terrain I work in so was thrown away on the date of purchase).

After visiting Maxtor I was redirected to Seagate and discovered another little secret. See: 

https://www.seagate.com/gb/en/support/kb/why-does-my-computer-with-a-maxtor-z1-ssd-sometimes-say-no-...

"The Maxtor Z1 SSD is compliant with the SATA 3.2 specification. If your computer only supports the SATA 3.1 specification, sometimes the Maxtor Z1 SSD is not detected during startup of your computer. This should be an intermittent issue, and if you try a few times, the computer should still boot."

....Exactly describing the error I am having and they provide a fix on this page, which seems to be rubbed out. I am currently typing this with the unfixed, so called faulty old Maxtor SSD, that even an experienced computer technician was unable to access.

Why or How is this so? 

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

Yes, on these newer model notebooks, there are no access panels to easily get to the hard drive, memory or wifi card.

It must have something to do with them trying to make these things thin and light.

I have no doubt that other PC manufacturers have the same kind of arrangement nowadays.

Unfortunately, I wouldn't know why you are having issues with the replacement drive.

I use this drive in my PC's which are older than yours, and it works just fine.

It even has better read/write speeds.  Read speeds up to 560MB/s, and sequential write speeds up to 530MB/s.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Western-Digital-WDS500G2B0A-Blue-Internal/dp/B073SBZ8YH/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1...

HP Recommended

Once again many thanks for your reply (in a language that can be understood).

I found the problem with the new drive when I knocked it slightly while it was connected via the USB port to the HP 15 Laptop. It was a loose connection on the connection board, caused by years of connecting and disconnecting to other drives. I can't see the break but will just replace this when I get the new laptop this afternoon. For now I have resolved this by resting the input cable on the handle of a kitchen knife.

So I can now see the drive (after it asked me what type of disk I wanted it to be) in  "Disk Management". I picked Master Boot Record. So I have Disk 0 and Disk 1 (the new disk). Logic tells me I should now partition the Disk 1 with the same five partitions of the old disk, disk 0.

650MB (Recovery)
260MB (EFI system)
425.45GB NTFS (Boot,Page File,Crash Dump,Primary) - C:
956MB (Recovery)
19.73GB NTFS (OEM) - 😧

There is some debate about this on the Seagate web site which recommend a four part partitioning limit.

"An MBR drive can have up to four standard partitions. Typically, these standard partitions are designated as primary partitions. For information about how to create additional partitions beyond this limit, see Configure More than Four Partitions on a BIOS/MBR-Based Hard Disk."

The Mirror option (My preferred route) appears not to be available in my version of windows, (windows 10 Home). So I am looking at installing Windows PE (Penetration Environment). Looking at this I will then have to write scripts for each operation. Now I am thinking this like being back with my Sinclair ZX80 writing programs for my black and white TV. Prep-work so far below:

"rem == CreatePartitions-BIOS.txt ==
rem == These commands are used with DiskPart to
rem create five partitions
rem for a BIOS/MBR-based computer.
rem Adjust the partition sizes to fill the drive
rem as necessary. ==
select disk 1
clean

rem 650MB (Recovery)
rem 260MB (EFI system)
rem 425.45GB NTFS (Boot,Page File,Crash Dump,Primary) - C:
rem 956MB (Recovery)
rem 19.73GB NTFS (OEM) - 😧
REM https://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=2022233"

There has to be an easier way. There is also doubt in my mind about this old drive. Getting back to Seagate's comments.

"The Maxtor Z1 SSD is compliant with the SATA 3.2 specification. If your computer only supports the SATA 3.1 specification, sometimes the Maxtor Z1 SSD is not detected during startup of your computer. This should be an intermittent issue, and if you try a few times, the computer should still boot."

Who is Mr. SATA 3.1? and where does he and 3.2 live?

My conclusion is the powers to be are colluding with software writers to stamp out the ability to mirror drives and arrest copy-write infringements. The result is a good four weeks of reloading software and re-establishing sentinel keys. Where do I send the bill?

As to the accessibility to replace worn out parts, I will be looking at this on the new one as my main criteria. If it is not straight forward to replace faulty parts, I will simply walk away.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.