Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended

Based on this hard drive, would it be ok to purchase the 250GB instead of the 500GB since it's a little bit more affordable? Based on the malfunctioned hard drive, the 250 is more memory than what was already there

Amazon.com: SAMSUNG 980 SSD 500GB PCle 3.0x4, NVMe M.2 2280, Internal Solid State Drive, Storage for...

HP Recommended

Sure.

The 250 GB SSD would be fine if that is all the space you would need.

My rule of thumb is to have a drive around 50% empty so as to not worry about running out of space.

Amazon.com: SAMSUNG 980 SSD 250GB PCle 3.0x4, NVMe M.2 2280, Internal Solid State Drive, Storage for...

HP Recommended

Thank you, I purchased the 250GB hard drive as requested. I'm now doing the HP cloud recovery tool, is it ok that the external jump drive I'm using has like 931GB or does it have to be a smaller jump drive with the 32GB?

HP Recommended

You're very welcome. 

I would imagine a 1TB USB flash drive would work. 

HP Recommended

Hello, I purchased the 32 gb jump drive and downloaded the hp cloud recovery tool to it. I also received the new hard drive and installed it. I just plugged in the usb drive with the hp cloud recovery downloaded onto it, but when clicking the F9 function, all I see is the EFI file but not a usb option?

HP Recommended

OK, so what you probably need to do is to disable secure boot in the BIOS.

To do that, restart the PC, press/tap the ESC key to get the menu of options.

Select the F10 Setup option and press the enter key.

Now you will be in the BIOS menu.

Disable secure boot, save the setting and shut down the PC.

See the link below for the usual location of the secure boot setting.

HP Notebook PCs - Cannot Start Notebook Computer From a Bootable CD or DVD | HP® Customer Support

Plug in the flash drive, and turn on the PC, tap the ESC key again, select F9, and now you should see the USB flash drive in the EFI boot options menu.

Select the flash drive and you should be off to the races.

HP Recommended

THank you and should I enable or disable the legacy support on that menu?

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

You may have to enable Legacy support if you still can't see the USB flash drive in the boot options menu with secure boot disabled.

With Legacy mode enabled, you should get two sets of boot options--EFI and Legacy.

Make sure you select the EFI USB flash drive so that you can enable Secure boot again after you recover the notebook.

HP Recommended

When I enable to legacy support, I was able to select the USB in the drop down menu on F9. Unfortunately, now it says that an operating system wasn't found. Try disconnecting any drives that don't contain an operating system. Please any key to restart.

When I did the HP cloud recovery last night on my other computer, it says that it was added to my 64bg sandisck jump drive, but I dont know if it was completely uploaded because i started it late last night and let it run this morning. Is there a way to delete the files on that jump drive and try to add the hp cloud recovery to it again? when trying to delete the jump drive files, it said that it was write protected and I dont know how to remove that or turn that off?

HP Recommended

You installed the tool on another PC, correct?

You don't need to try and delete any of the files on the USB drive.

The tool will format the drive automatically, and it takes around 30 minutes depending on the speed of the PC you installed the tool on and the speed of the USB ports to create the recovery media.

If you want to delete the files yourself, you need to right-click on the USB drive in Windows Explorer and select 'Format' from the menu.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.