Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Laptop PC 15s-fq2000 (2D120AV)
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have to push the power button many times to boot laptop after the laptop has been off for a period of time.  Through trial and error, to boot the laptop, I have been doing a pattern of power button presses:  short press, followed by long press, then repeat.  After the long press, the caps lock key will usually blink.  Too fast to see the blink pattern.

Sometimes the fan will start briefly, but always with a blank screen.  But once I see something come on the screen (about 10-20 presses), it boots up.  From that point on, everything works normal.  Have tried to run some diagnostics, but nothing came up.  The laptop is about 1 year old and the problem has been getting progressively worse.  Taking more and more pressing to start.

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

I solved a similar problem on my PC with a hard reset

HP Recommended

Hard reset is a drastic solution that I would like to avoid, but if that is the solution, then it indicates that the problem is software related rather than hardware.  If it is software, then the problem should be solvable by an update or similar.  I'm convinced now that it is a warm up problem.  Some boot up driver must be misreading a sensor.

HP Recommended

have you tried updating the bios and drivers or updating them again?

HP Recommended

I'd rather not waste time trying random things to see if they work.  From my searches, apparently I'm not the only one having this problem.  This is a known problem that HP needs to address and publish the specific cause with a specific solution.

Until then, I have a work around.  I disabled the lid shut down and disabled, sleep and power down time outs.  Spare me the technical reasons why this is bad.  This keeps my laptop immediately functional when I get to  the office and I still can do a soft-boot if needed.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.