Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Pavilion 15-bc
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Guys I am desperate, I accidentally told my computer to update instead of turning it off. I run windows 10 (the 1890 or something version) and I guess it tried to update to 1903. The problem is I had to take the train so I just closed the lid hoping it wouldn't ruin anything. It was already on the blue screen with "Configuring update 2%".

Now I tried to open it once I was home with its charger and it keeps restarting! The screen goes to say "deleting changes made. Trying to restart" it goes to the hp logo, a half screen appears and then black again, to restart. It's stuck in the loop.

Help I am  so worried

Sorry for my bad english it's not my first language. Also I'm not that tech savvy if it wasn't obvious so please help me out on what to do

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

Hi,

First a couple of questions.

Do you have important data on the PC you need to recover or would reinstalling Windows be an option?

If you turn off the PC by holding the power button until shutdown (10 seconds or so) and turn back on again, does the loop start again?

Let me know,

David

HP Recommended

Hello thank you so much for answering. It's still going and it's been hours and I'm desperate

So no, I have very important files that I need to recover (a year of photos that I wanted to copy externally but had not the occasion to yet)... if possible

As for your second question. I tried to power it off, right before the hp logo shows up, and by pushing the button for 2 seconds it did power off. As soon as I powered it again, the cycle started too. So yes it's stuck. The same thing happened when pushing the button for ten seconds. Should I try a different type of powering it up?

I believe it was a bios update so it feels like it's somehow unable to process it up. I am so grateful you can help me out

I still haven't seen the blue windows recovery sceen pop up...

I'll describe the process with more details:

The screen flashes on, with dark background and the writing on the bottom "Trying to recover the installation ". Then it changes quickly to "Cancelling all edits made on the computer". Note that these are written in my language, Italian, even if I generally keep my laptop in English and I just changed it the last time it was alive.

The hp logo with the round dots starts up. Then there's a quick flash of a window. A 0.1 second flash really. It's an old style border with a empty (black) intern, with the red cross on the side. I can't read what it says maybe something "win---.exe"

Then it becomes all black like it's restarting

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.