Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion x360 - 13-u131tu530
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

hi,

I was facing the issue of "preparing an automatic repair" on my hp laptop.

So, when I have done a system quick check, it shows that my hard drive short DST check -failed. (Failure ID : RLH179-8KRAG9-GXGGQ1-60RG03)

So, I just want to know that if my hard disk got crashed?

If yes, whether it is repairable or will it be replaced only? (My system is out of warranty)

Also, how can I recover my stored data as my system won't start?

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

You could try a Live Linux distro, IE: Linux Mint or Ubuntu, or whatever is your choice.  Make the Live DVD or USB Flash drive on a working PC and then try to boot to the Live version while the old drive is still in the PC.  If the Live Linux can see the drive, then you stand a chance on moving the data to another media, outside of the PC such as a USB flash drive or DVD, etc.

No software for Windows can work while your PC cannot boot, unless it has another PC to host the OS and the old drive is removed from the PC and connected to the hosting PC.

I'm not an HP employee.
Did this message answer your question? Please indicate below as an Accepted Solution!
Did you find this message useful? Click on the "Was this reply helpful" Yes button.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

If the system will not start, then it is most likely the hard drive has failed.  The drive needs to be replaced and Windows and any other software needs to be reinstalled on the new drive.

It might be possible to retrieve data from a failed hard drive but do not expect it.  Once the drive is removed, try a USB to SATA adapter and connect the old drive to that adapter and then to a hosting PC.  See if the hosting PC can see any data to retrieve.

I'm not an HP employee.
Did this message answer your question? Please indicate below as an Accepted Solution!
Did you find this message useful? Click on the "Was this reply helpful" Yes button.
HP Recommended

Thanks for your reply, sir.

Further, could you please tell me is there any software/way so that I may/can retrieve my stored data by using that software (without removing the Hard Drive or before replacement)?

thanks

HP Recommended

You could try a Live Linux distro, IE: Linux Mint or Ubuntu, or whatever is your choice.  Make the Live DVD or USB Flash drive on a working PC and then try to boot to the Live version while the old drive is still in the PC.  If the Live Linux can see the drive, then you stand a chance on moving the data to another media, outside of the PC such as a USB flash drive or DVD, etc.

No software for Windows can work while your PC cannot boot, unless it has another PC to host the OS and the old drive is removed from the PC and connected to the hosting PC.

I'm not an HP employee.
HP Recommended

Hi Sir,

I have created an Ubuntu bootable USB drive. And I have able to see the data and moved my data to another media.

thanks

HP Recommended

That is awesome.  Great!!

I'm not an HP employee.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.