Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP ProBook 650 G2
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello everyone, so first of all my English is not that good so i hope you understand what i say. Let me tell you what happened, 2 months ago my dad found this laptop in the streets in Germany, he took it home booted it, took pictures and everything was fine but it had a Windows password (in the login screen). He sent it to Greece (where i'm writing this) and i booted up the laptop and it had 2 WIndows accounts (they had a password in both of the accounts ofc). I was like "let's go to the BIOS to check what are the exact specs and check what settings it has" and i saw that it had an Administrative BIOS Password and i was like "**bleep**, i didn't expect that it would have a BIOS password, and there is NO WAY to remove the password myself". I also typed 3 times the password wrong and it didn't give me the 5-6 digit code. I tried removing the Windows login password from CMD but these guys enabled BItLocker on the C: drive and there was NO way to remove the BitLocker from the C: drive, and i had to fresh reinstall Windows 10. Everything was working fine after the fresh installation of Windows 10 and i thought reinstalling fresh Windows 10 would remove the BIOS password but it didn't. I have literally done EVERYTHING to remove the BIOS password but no luck. I tried contacting HP to give me the SMC.bin file but they don't send these anymore. I removed the CMOS Battery but it didn't work. I saw in a website and someone said that "HP ProBooks save the BIOS Passwords in a non-volatile chip, or it could be stored in the EEPROM chip" and again i was like "**bleep**, what do i do now?" the only thing i haven't done is to find the EEPROM chip and remove the BIOS Password from there (with something metallic i think?). I don't want to do that because i'm afraid that i could find the wrong chip and destroy the laptop. My last hope is to send it to my nearest tech shop and they could do that for me unless one of you or someone from the HP experts tell me a way to remove the BIOS Password. Sorry if this description was big but i wanted to tell as much as possible. Thanks for reading.

Alexander Kasa
1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

Hi:

Unfortunately, there is nothing we can do to help you, since HP will no longer supply the required SMC.bin file that is used to clear the BIOS password.

That was the only way it could be done.

HP issued this document recently...

https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c06368824

Also the forum rules were amended on 1 March 2019, which no longer allow us to help with removing BIOS passwords.

Rule 4.d...

https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.