Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP ProBook x360 G1
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello. I am trying to boot up using a USB flash drive or bootable Clonezilla DVD (using an external DVD drive) to create a disk backup of the SSD drive with our configured copy of Windows 10 Pro and installed apps. I have tested the bootable media in other older laptops and they boot up. I can access the bootable media in the HP ProBook x360 when it boots in to Windows 10 Pro (64bit). I need to be able to take the image from this machine and put it on the other HP ProBook x360 laptops we have.

I have tried the following formats on the 8GB USB flash drive with the latest Clonezilla ISO:

Clonezilla created with Tuxboot

Clonezilla created with YUMI

Clonezilla created with YUMI with UEFI support beta

Clonezilla created with Rufus as FAT32 with MBR partition scheme for BIOS and UEFI

Clonezilla created with Rufus as FAT32 with GPT partition scheme for UEFI

Clonezilla created with Rufus as FAT32 with MBR partition scheme for UEFI

I have tried the following UEFI settings:

Advanced > Boot Options > USB Device Boot > Enable

Advanced > Boot Options > EFI Boot Order > USB Diskette on Key/USB Harfd Disk first, USB CD/DVD ROM Drive second, Notebook Hard Drive thrid

Advanced > Boot Options > Secure Boot > Disabled (Enabled for the GPT and MBR partition scheme for UEFI)

Advanced > Boot Options > Clear Secure Boot Keys > cleared when Secure Boot was disabled

Advanced > Device Options > External USB Devices > Enable

Advanced > Secure Boot Configuration > Enable MS UEFI CA key > Enable and Disable

When booting the flash drive, the light on the flash drive will blink for about one second with a small cursor in the upper left of the screen. The laptop does nothing after that (screen does not change, the flash drive no longer blinks). I have left it at this point for about 5 minutes. I also tried a Windows 10 Pro (64bit) flash drive that I have used to install Windows on other laptops.

I cannot find the UEFI settings that will allow me to boot a legacy/BIOS device and I have not been able to create a UEFI boot device that will work. Can someone tell me how/if there is a way to get this laptop to boot legacy devices or another way to create a UEFI bootable flash drive that will work with this laptop? 

Thank you,

JH

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Forgive me for asking after the detailed report of all you have tried- But are you tapping Esc immediately after powering on to access the menu and use F9 Boot options to select boot device? If so what options are you offered?

**Click Accept as Solution on a Reply that solves your issue**
***Click the "YES" button if you think this response was helpful.***

HP Recommended

Sorry about not adding that. Yes, I use <Esc> or <F9> to get to the boot menu. Depending on the UEFI settings seems to determine if the flash drive or DVD drive show up on the boot menu. When they are a selection on the boot menu, the flash drive exhibts the behavior above. The DVD drive exhibts a similar behvior. Since changing the boot order in the settings, they show up at the top of the boot menu as expected.

My focus has been on trying to get the flash drive to boot and I was using the bootable DVD as an alternative to get something to work. I have not had both the flash drive and the DVD drive connected at the same time.

Please let me know if you need additional information.

JH

HP Recommended

So, they only two boot options I have working are a Windows 10 64-bit install USB flash drive that I created from the Microsoft Windows 10 download page and a Windows 10 64-bit WinPE USB flash drive that I created with the latest Windows ADK.

Other options to create an EFI boot flash drive have not been successful. A Windows 10 32-bit WinPE flash drive will not boot (it's not an even an option on the boot menu). I think this is because this is a 64-bit UEFI laptop and will not boot a 32-bit OS.

My suggestion to everyone is to start preparing now for EFI boot only computers. Windows 10 will install either the UEFI or BIOS option depending on how the laptop was booted to install Windows, but how you boot up to capture that image and the program you use to capture the image and deploy it might be different than what you use now. 

JH

HP Recommended

So, we have the same laptop HP x360 11 G1, and same issue with no way to get them booting with Clonezilla on usb/CD/disk. HP seems to have no solution to this? There are no Legacy Boot or Fast Boot to enable/disable in the Bios. Even if we have used the latest bios 01.12. So our x360's just get hte black screen with blinking cursor in upper corner.

jHo; I guess you found another way to solve this problem, as no one has solved your problem from last year?

HP Recommended

We can get our Probook 645s to boot from the USB by going into the BIOS Settings > Advanced > Secure Boot Configuration

and then selecting Legacy Boot Enable (or Disable) and Secure Boot Disable

Then we go into Boot options and can choose the USB drive.

This worked on the 640 G1, G2, G3 and the 650 G4 as well.

The problem now is that Clonezilla won't get past the screen resolution selection.

It worked fine on the other models.

Tried multiple flavors and versions.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.