Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Probook 650 g2
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

Hi, after receiving a new company laptop, I would like to convert my old laptop (HP Probook 650 g2) for personal use. I have installed a new ssd, as the old one is full of firewalls and admin blocks. However, I am still unable to get into the bios as there is an admin blocking that with a password. After 3 failed attempts, my only option is to shut down and try again. Is there anyway to totally wipe the whole thing so that the bios is reset? Or any way to get in?

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

@JonnyGum 

Is your old laptop your former company laptop?  If so, you are simply Out Of Luck.

There is no way you are going to be able to bypass a BIOS password because it is encrypted into the firmware of a chip inside the laptop and that chip is not replaceable.  This is why companies use BIOS passwords -- because there is no way to bypass them.

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
HP Recommended

Darn. No way at all?

HP Recommended

@JonnyGum 

Did you read what I said -- the BIOS is encrypted into a CHIP on the system board and that is soldered to the board -- so it can NOT be replaced. You have to replace the entire system board and that would cost as much as, if not more than, simply replacing the laptop.  And since the Windows license is tied to the system board, even if you did replace the board, you would have to buy a new Windows license to run on it.

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
HP Recommended

Hi JonnyGum

Thank you for visiting the HP Support Community.

According to the Community's Rules of Participation:

4d. No posts shall include instructions or directions intended to bypass or subvert security measures, including passwords, locking mechanisms, fingerprint scans, etc., or to bypass any safety measures.

Therefore, this topic is being locked. If you would like help resetting the password on your product, please Contact HP support in your region. 

Regards. 

I work on behalf of HP.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.