Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended
15-g247ca

Hello

I am having a problem to install Windows after a hard drive crash. The laptop won't boot from USB or DVD and I concluded I must update the Bios first.

I read that I need to use the PC Hardware Diagnostics UEFI tool when windows is not booting for that, but the version on the laptop is old I think (version 1.9.0.0) and don't have the option to update the bios. (only memory test and hard drive check)

I concluded that I need to use an updated version of HP PC hardware diagnostics UEFI to update my bios. I downloaded the latest version at https://www8.hp.com/us/en/campaigns/hpsupportassistant/pc-diags.html and made a USB drive with it. However, when I insert the USB in the laptop, it always load the laptop hardware diagnostics tools only, not the updated one from the USB. I press Esc on boot, then F2 and the laptop old tools load always.

I did try with different usb ports on the laptop.

I did try with two usb drive, one in fat16 and the other in fat32.

I did try with different updated version of HP diagnostics tool (6.6.0.0 - 6.9.0.0 - 6.9.1.0).

Should I proceed otherwise for the bios update or must I do anything else to load the updated diagnostics tools ? Thanks

PS : I also did try to update the bios by putting the bios bare files on a usb drive and holding windows key + b at startup without success.

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

@Philippos1

Thank you for posting on HP Forums, 

Barachiel is at your service. 

I Understand you are in need of support,

And to help you out, I'm sending out a Private message with the required information's,

Good Luck. 🙂

Barachiel
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I am having the same issue, f2 and it loads hp vision hardware diag v1.02 and does not read my fat or fat32 with the new UEFI.

My touchscreen is dead and I want to check if it's hardware

hp touchsmart 620-1080 3d
western digital nand 3d, 250gb
16g ram
i7
win7
envy subwoofer
envy laser wireless printer
HP Recommended

@touchsmart623d
Thank you for posting on the HP Support Community. 

Don't worry as I'll be glad to help, however, to provide an accurate resolution, I need a few more details:

• What is the product number of your device? Use this link to find it: http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c03754824 (Ensure you do not share any of your personal information such as serial, phone number, email ID, etc...).
  • Did this happen after a recent window or software update?
  • Have you made any hardware/software changes?

While you respond to that, let's try these steps: 
Firstly, perform Hard Reset: Follow steps from the link: https://hp.care/2GnkMa8. (for all HP laptops)

Next step BIOS default: 

1. Turn off the computer and wait five seconds.
  2. Press the Power button to start the computer and repeatedly press the F10 key to enter the BIOS setup menu.
  3. On the BIOS Setup screen, press F9 to select and load the BIOS Setup Default settings.
  4. Press F10 to Save and Exit.
  5. Use the arrow keys to select Yes, then press Enter when asked Exit Saving Changes?
  6. Follow the prompts to restart your computer. If the issue persists, follow the next steps.

Let's run the System Tests which will check the hardware sub-systems to ensure they are functioning properly.

Open the System Tests menu when Windows won't start.

1. Hold the power button for at least five seconds to turn off the computer.
  2. Turn on the computer and immediately press Esc repeatedly, about once every second. When the menu appears, press the F2 key.
  3. On the main menu, click System Tests.

The System Tests menu displays.

The steps in this section describe how to run the tests to check for hardware failures and view the test logs.

Hope this helps! Keep me posted for further assistance.
Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Sorry for the late update. I used the 4 in 1 diagnostic tool with UEFI and it finally worked after reboot.

My new issue is the component diag does not show option to test for touchscreen at all.

16g ram
i7
win7
envy subwoofer
HP Recommended

@touchsmart623d

Thank you for posting back. 

Use the troubleshooting steps in this section if the touch screen does not respond, or if the screen sometimes responds and sometimes does not.

Step 1: Confirm the computer has a touch screen

Step 2: Enable and reinstall the touch screen driver in Device Manager

Step 3: Configure the touch display

Step 4: Install Windows updates

Step 5: Perform a touch screen diagnostic test in HP Hardware Diagnostics

Step 6: Adjust the power management settings for your touch screen

Step 8: Update the BIOS and graphics driver

Step 9: Reset your computer

Step 10: Perform a Microsoft System Restore.
Click here: https://support.hp.com/in-en/document/c03488148 to complete the troubleshooting steps.

Hope this helps! Keep me posted for further assistance.
Please click “
Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

The touchscreen does not respond totally. Like it does not exist. If windows cannot see i was hoping to use diag UEFI. Problem is UEFI identified my hp touchsmart but does not offer a test in the components section of the diag.

16g ram
i7
win7
envy subwoofer
HP Recommended

@touchsmart623d

Thank you for posting back. 

I would request you to contact our Support and our Support Engineers should be able to sort this out. HP Support can be reached by clicking on the following link:  www.hp.com/contacthp/

Please feel free to contact us here anytime you need any further assistance. Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I downloaded the software( HP PC HARDWARE DIAGNOSTICS 4-IN-1 USB KEY) but I don't know how to use it, I'm in another computer cause I can't access Windows in the HP laptop, and fabric reset is not working, I'm able to access that computer with command prompt.  I'm guessing that I should copy the program to the USB key, this an executable, what should I do when I access the laptop in command prompt?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.