Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Laptop 15-da0xxx
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi, i wanted to know how to access the advanced options in the BIOS, I've looked on many youtube videos and forums have tried by what they have suggested but unfortunately, none have worked. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@Rio-H485,

Thank you for posting your query on HP Community,

HP PC's uses a customized BIOS setting of which some features including overclocking are locked. HP has locked a few settings on your computer which are being managed by the system configuration as the device is configured to its optimal performance.

There's no way of resetting or changing these locked settings via HP articles or assistance,

You could unlock and make changes at your own discretion using 3rd party tools, however, HP doesn't recommend the same nor has information about the tools used.

I hope this answers your question and let me know if you need any further assistance!

That said, If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the Accepted Solution and Kudos buttons, that'll help us and others see that we've got the answers!

Have a great day!

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

@Rio-H485,

Thank you for posting your query on HP Community,

HP PC's uses a customized BIOS setting of which some features including overclocking are locked. HP has locked a few settings on your computer which are being managed by the system configuration as the device is configured to its optimal performance.

There's no way of resetting or changing these locked settings via HP articles or assistance,

You could unlock and make changes at your own discretion using 3rd party tools, however, HP doesn't recommend the same nor has information about the tools used.

I hope this answers your question and let me know if you need any further assistance!

That said, If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the Accepted Solution and Kudos buttons, that'll help us and others see that we've got the answers!

Have a great day!

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi Jeet,

Ah, thats unfortunate. No problem thank you for your brief response!

HP Recommended

@Rio-H485,

There is nothing much we can do here, Just in case if you need any assistance in future, please feel free to reach out to us and we'll be more than happy to help you.

Take care and have a great day!

Thank you 🙂

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi Jeet,

Unfortunately this is not good enough - I, like you, am an IT professional - the Rev 5 BIOS update has obliterated the Advanced BIOS settings screen disabling and removing the Intel Virtualization menu option and frustratingly for me removed the option to disable the stupid Action keys.

When programming and using Excel, I am constantly using the F-key shortcuts, I don't want to have to hold the Fn key down everytime I want to edit a cell or run the debugger in an IDE - I rarely adjust my brightness or volume from the keyboard and would be happy to hold Fn down to do this.

Please can you provide the key sequenced to press to active the now hidden advanced menu or log this as a bug with HP to have the advanced menu put back.

HP Recommended

Hi Chris,

I also had your issue however, for me there was already an option in the BIOS to disable this feature.

I usually always liked holding down the FN key to adjust brightness, sound, etc. With this laptop it was already enabled to adjust brightness and all without having to hold the FN button which i did prefer.

I went into the BIOS and i luckily had the option to disable this. I would recommend possibly looking into a third party application possibly which could maybe switch those around?

HP Recommended

Thanks for the helpful reply (unlike the unhelpful "restore Windows from backup" I got from HP support).

I bought a premium laptop and I have to say after many years (20+) of being a fan of HP, particularly the Elitebooks - I am very disappointed by the Omen and Envy range of devices:

Bad Keyboards with crappy Mac style layout (half height enter key, no right Windows key, huge right-hand shift key that steals from a full size "up" and "down" keys etc)

Dreadful huge trackpad with awful click zones

Now this latest insult of crippling the BIOS for advanced users - what a joke. :'(

Thanks for the suggestion of the 3rd party app to disable the action keys, I shouldn't have to do this as Windows is bloaty enough - but I don't see how I get my Virtualization BIOS features back for my VMs...

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.