Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
6LC86EA
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi there. I booted a Linux Distro on a USB drive but after restarting the system without the USB drive the laptop still boots the linux distro and not Windows 10 anymore. I went on BIOS menu and put the boot order but it looks like I have lost Windows. How can I fix this? Thank you

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Hi:

It appears that your PC is supported by the HP cloud recovery tool.

What I recommend you do is to use another Windows PC with W7 64 bit or newer and use the HP cloud recovery tool to create a bootable USB recovery drive that will reinstall W10, the drivers and the software that originally came with your PC.

Here is an info link for how to use that utility...

PC consumer HP - Utilizzo di HP Cloud Recovery Tool (Windows 10, 7) | Assistenza clienti HP®

HP Recommended

Hi there,

Thank you for your response.

I installed Windows 10 on a USB drive and booted it on the pc. Now I have windows 10 back, unfortunately I found out that I completely deleted previous windows 10, so I lost all the applications and data I had in it. 

I had to create a new Windows account but I wanted to know if I could have the previous version back not to pay for the new account.

I think I need the windows key for it but I am afraid I lost it. How could I do?

Thank you again

Nicola Zucchia

HP Recommended

You're very welcome, Nicola .

The HP cloud recovery tool is supposed to make a bootable USB recovery drive that reinstalls W10, the drivers and the software applications that originally came with your notebook.

You are writing that the cloud recovery tool did not install the programs that came with your notebook?

If not, unfortunately I don't know what other options you have to reinstall the software.

There should be some software you can install from your notebook's support page, but it probably won't be everything.

HP Pavilion 15-cs1000 Laptop PC Download di software e driver | Assistenza clienti HP®

HP Recommended

Hi Paul, unfortunately I did not do late backups before having this issue, so I did not reinstall Windows from the tool you suggested. i installed it from zerl and it asked me to create an account asking me to pay 100$ per year, but I had a free version before (since I am a student at university). 

I just want to have the free account for windows and Microsoft working on the newly installed Windows 10.

Thank you for your tips.

Best regards,

Nicola Zucchia

HP Recommended

You're very welcome, Nicola.

I suggest you make the bootable recovery drive then because it is free (other than the 32 GB USB flash drive) and it will install the original factory operating system, drivers and software.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.