Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Pavillion 15-CS3073CL
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I recently purchased this laptop from Costco, and since it only had an HDD and nothing in the m.2 spot, I decided to purchase and install an NVME SSD in the slot. Once I did so, I was able to clone the HDD using Samsung's Data Migration tool, but now I can't figure out how to change which device it is booting from. The only one that appears to be available in msconfig is the HDD.

I've looked through the BIOS, and can't seem to find any options for changing the drive in the boot order. What am I missing here? Do I need to completely reinstall Windows to get it to boot from the new drive? Please tell me there's a better option!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

So I gave up on finding a better solution, and decided to just reinstall windows on the NVME drive.

There has got to be a better option! However, here is what worked for me.

1: Created Windows 10 Reinstall Media (use method of your choice.

2: Using Partition Manager, partition the two drives uniquely so they are identifiable by partitionsm

3: Boot from reinstall media

4: Begin installation, select advanced install

5: At drive selection, note which drive is the NVME and which is the HDD. Delete all partitions on both, then create a partition using all of the NVME (or whatever portion you like) for the OS. Leave HDD unpartitioned. 

6: Continue with setup. After windows has been completely setup, use Partition Manager to partition your HDD as a D drive at will, and do any additional setup.

If anyone comes up with a better method, please let me know!

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

So I gave up on finding a better solution, and decided to just reinstall windows on the NVME drive.

There has got to be a better option! However, here is what worked for me.

1: Created Windows 10 Reinstall Media (use method of your choice.

2: Using Partition Manager, partition the two drives uniquely so they are identifiable by partitionsm

3: Boot from reinstall media

4: Begin installation, select advanced install

5: At drive selection, note which drive is the NVME and which is the HDD. Delete all partitions on both, then create a partition using all of the NVME (or whatever portion you like) for the OS. Leave HDD unpartitioned. 

6: Continue with setup. After windows has been completely setup, use Partition Manager to partition your HDD as a D drive at will, and do any additional setup.

If anyone comes up with a better method, please let me know!

HP Recommended

Hi PhoenixCodes!  Sounds like you got everything working. I’m a noobie but I just installed a Samsung 970 Evo Plus m.2 NVME on my Pavilion 15-cc123cl.  This is a a model made in Nov 2017 and bought from Costco.  Here is what worked for me that avoids having to reinstall Windows on your solid state drive once you have cloned everything from the hard disk drive.

From what I’ve read, once you finish cloning from your hard drive to your solid state drive, turn off the computer, unplug the AC adaptor from the wall and computer, take off the bottom cover (if you put it back on after physically installing the solid state drive) and unplug the hard disk drive. Now plug the AC adaptor back into the computer and wall and turn on the computer. It should now boot from your solid state drive. Now turn off the computer, unplug the AC adaptor from the wall and computer, reconnect your hard disk drive, reconnect your AC plug to your computer and the wall and turn it on. It should once again boot from your solid state drive and now you can use your hard disk drive for storing data. In my case I didn’t have to change anything in the uefi bios. 

HP Recommended

@Billguitarvin yeah, I was afraid it would be something like that. I can't believe theres no better way to do this rather than physically unplugging the old hard disk! I didn't want to open the machine up a second time though, so did it the other way. 🙂

Thanks for the response!

HP Recommended

You are very welcome!  Thanks for the Kudos. Because of that I’m now level 2. Woo hoo!  

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.