Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion 15 Notebook PC 5CD4215YP9
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

After updating to the Windows 10 1709  my boot-up is incredibility slow. I get over 2 to 3 minutes of a black screen with the HP loading screen and the spinning dots. Before the upgrade this was just a few seconds.

I've done all the following so far:

- Virus scan (MC Afee) was already installed and running)

- Update of HP drivers (incl. BIOS)

- Update of Intel drivers

- WIndows update (to version 1803)

- Replace HDD by SDD

- Clean install on SSD (currenlty running again with the HDD)

Nothing did help actually. I've noticed that I'm not the only one having this boot issues (HP in combination with W10 after update to 1709)

How can I solve the slow boot problem? Thx !

13 REPLIES 13
HP Recommended

Have you run any of the Diagnostics? Immediately after powering on start tapping the Esc key. This will open a menu where F2 System Diagnostics is an option. Tap F2 key and run the tests.

**Click Accept as Solution on a Reply that solves your issue**
***Click the "YES" button if you think this response was helpful.***

HP Recommended

Thank you for your quick response. I ran diagnostics and got component test failed on the memory module.

Failure ID: 9AGBKQ-76394T-MFPV79-405D03

Produt ID: J2S28EA#ABH

I've ran the build in Windows 10 memory test afterwards which gave no errors though.

Might be interesting to know that the windows system logs contain a number of errors related to the intel management engine interface:

• Intel(R) Management Engine Interface driver has failed to perform handshake with the Firmware (FWSTS0: 0x00004181, FWSTS1: 0x16462100).
  • The Intel(R) Management Engine Interface is being disabled.

Furthermore, the system fully closes down after going into hybernation (no saving of work, closes down applications, etc). When reviving the laptop, I got error messages that the sysem has not closed down properly.

Furthermore some errors in the system l og on COM (unfortunately in Dutch) which are probably not related:

In de machtigingsinstellingen toepassingsspecifiek wordt de machtiging Activeren niet verleend aan Lokaal voor de COM-servertoepassing met CLSID
{D63B10C5-BB46-4990-A94F-E40B9D520160}
 en APPID
{9CA88EE3-ACB7-47C8-AFC4-AB702511C276}
 aan de gebruiker NT AUTHORITY\LOCAL SERVICE SID (S-1-5-19) met het adres LocalHost (via LRPC) die wordt uitgevoerd in de toepassingscontainer Niet beschikbaar SID (Niet beschikbaar). Deze beveiligingsmachtiging kan worden gewijzigd met het beheerprogramma van Component Services.

HP Recommended

Hi,

Usually after a major Windows 10 update, the delay issues are caused by drivers that needs an update.

Maybe the driver that are causing the delay isn't available for update on the HP website.

To identify that driver, you have to take a boot trace with Windows Performance Toolkit:

1. Open a command line as an Administrator (Run As Administrator)
  2. Type the following command in the command line Windows: cd %programfiles(x86)%\Windows Kits\10\Windows Performance Toolkit
  3.  Type the following command to start recording the boot trace: wpr -start GeneralProfile -start CPU -onoffscenario Boot -onoffresultspath c:\wpr -numiterations 1 -filemode
  4. Compress the .ETL file generated under the C:\WPR path (very important)
  5. Upload the boot trace file on Dropbox or on https://www.transfernow.net/en/

I'll analyze your trace file and give you a feedback.

**Click Accept as Solution on a Reply that solves your issue to help others**
******Clicking the Thumbs-Up button is a way to say -Thanks!.******
HP Recommended

Hi,

Thx for your instructions. I've installed the windows performance toolkit and ran the commands. Although ranning the WPR command from Directory: "C:\program files (x86)\windows kits\10\windows performance toolkit", I got an error message unfortunately:

"PS C:\program files (x86)\windows kits\10\windows performance toolkit> wpr -start GeneralProfile -start CPU -onoffscenario Boot -onoffresultspath c:\wpr -numiterations 1 -filemode

Could not create a path to WindowsPerformanceRecorderUI.dll, ensure this is in the executing directory

Error code: 0xc5600610"

I've double checked: I'm in the right directory and file is there too.

So I ran the Performance Recorder App. Ticked the first level triage box, the CPU usage box (under Resource Analysis), chose performance scenario "boot", detail level "verbose", logging mode "file" and number of iterations "1". Pushed start, chose the WPR directory for output. and rebooted

WPR directory contained a quite sizeable file which I could open with windows performance analyzer. It was difficult to interpret the results.

HP Recommended

Well done.

The trace files are quite sizable, you need to compress them in order to share them.

I'm willing to help you interpret the trace if you want.

HP Recommended

(* I have trouble with the posting when the link is included *)

I have made a 7zip file and uploaded it in transfernow. When I include the link the message won't post  😞

HP Recommended

59bec196hmlc

HP Recommended

Got it...

HP Recommended

This seems to work. It needs of course transfer now dot net in front of it.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.