Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion 17-g124na
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have an ongoing intermittent problem with my HP Pavilion 17-g124na laptop in that it will not switch on when the power button is pressed. There appears to be no pattern as to when or why it is happening. Around a year ago, I had the battery replaced as it was not holding charge and therefore not switching on to boot up and thought that it had solved the issue, and it has now started happening again. The battery was an official HP model and has been holding charge and working as expected. 

I have also completed a diagnostic test using the HP Hardware Diagnostic software, however the battery / adapter test shows as 'canceled'.

Please can anyone shed some light on this issue or whether you are experiencing the same thing?

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@hjcs

Do you still get a light on the Power Button when you press it even when the Notebook doesn't power on?

I suggest you try updating the BIOS from this Link: https://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/HP-Pavilion-17-Notebook-PC-series/8499304/model/101...

Keep me posted 😊

If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the "Solution Accepted" on this Post and it will also help other community members with similar issue.

KrazyToad
I Am An HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi KrazyToad, thanks for your reply.

No, when the problem occurs the power light does not come on when I press it.  If I leave it for a while, trying to switch it on every now and then, the power light eventually does come on and the laptop boots up.

It is a very intermittent issue but very annoying!

I will try updating the BIOS via the link you sent - many thanks!

😊

HP Recommended

@hjcs

Try the BIOS update and keep me posted how it goes 😊

KrazyToad
I Am An HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.