Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended
pavilion desktop
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

I have an old Windows 7 Pavillion desktop I’m trying to boot up as I transfer some old files from College. It worked fine until recently when I got a boot error. I looked up the issue and ended up messing with the boot order. Since changing the boot order I have barely been unable to get passed the initial HP logo screen. My keyboard lights up as if it’s plugged in but I can’t do anything. Now if I immediately mash the esc key I can get to a black screen that gives me information such as processor type and speed. And also says “press the ESC key for start up menu” but nothing on the keyboard responds. I have also tried F2, F8, F10, etc. I’m at a loss here. I have tried things like opening up the computer and reconnecting everything, Including the CMOs battery. Certain things have led to that black screen having a “Bios  set to default” message, but I still cannot proceed in any way. Does anyone have any ideas on this? 

Thanks. 

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

@Tanbotom 

You basically hosed up the PC messing around with the boot order.  The PC is set, at the factory, to boot from a specific partition on the drive.  If you change that, without also migrating the boot files, you guarantee that after that, the PC will no longer boot!

The HP logo is contained in firmware stored in a chip on the system board, so it will display even if no drive is present.

Also, when you removed the CMOS battery, did you expect that to magically fix the boot problems?  All that does is force a reset of the BIOS options to their default values -- which is what happened.

What MIGHT work is creating boot media on a USB stick and inserting that into your laptop.  Some laptops will boot automatically from a bootable USB stick, and if yours is one of them, you could then use the utility associated with that stick to fix your booting issues.  More on this below ...

1) Download and install Macrium Reflect (MR) from this link on a working PC: http://www.macrium.com/reflectfree.aspx
2) Use the option to create a boot USB stick or CD

That will create MR bootable media. Then, you can boot your PC into WinPE using that media.

Have patience, as that can take a while to start and bring up the screen.

Once the screen is there, select the option to Fix Windows boot problems. It will then search for the OSs installed and list them, Select the one you want to repair and click Next.

It will now do the repairs, listing the things it has done.

When finished, select the option to Restart the PC.

If this worked, the boot repair succeeded and you will have your PC back.

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.