Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Pavilion 15-n267sa
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I'm trying to upgrade the 1TB HDD that came with the laptop to a 240GB Kingston SSD. The disk cloning seemed to be successful (using EaseUs Partition Manager) but when I remove the HDD and replace with the SSD the laptop BIOS won't recognise the SSD. It's an exact copy of the HDD just with the main partition shrunk to fit the SSD.

I've tried just about every combination of settings I can find - using the boot manager option, BIOS drive settings and trying a "repair" from the Blue screen that comes up every time I boot.

I think I can now dismantle and re-assemble this laptop with my eyes closed - but it's a pain as there's no easy access to the hard drive enclosure:-( 

I've completed a number of SSD upgrades in laptops and desktops all (relatively) simply and successful.

I'm beginning to wonder if the upgrade is worth all this hassle.

Any help would be gratefully received:-)

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

Hi@Dollarken, Welcome to the HP Support Community!

You can use the recovery flash drive created by the HP Recovery Manager to install the OS to the 1TB and use it as your boot drive and then use the original drive as storage.

HP Consumer PCs - Using the HP Cloud Recovery Tool (Windows 10, 7 link

Opening the notebook and upgrading it will not violate the warranty unless you damage something.    You need to be able to return the notebook to its original hardware configuration in the case of any required warranty repair

Keep me posted. Happy to help!

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Have a great day! 

HP Recommended

Hi @Praveenbv - thanks for the response. Unfortunately it doesn't really address the problems in my post.

1. The laptop is a Pavilion 15n-267sa which has a  single SATA drive only

2. I already have Win 10 OS and my apps and data installed on the original 1TB HDD and have successfully cloned all of that to the new 240GB Kingston SSD which I want to replace in the slot where the HDD is. I'm not concerned about retaining the 1TB HDD as a data disc (in any case, the laptop only has 1 SATA slot.

3. The Windows installation on the original 1TB HDD still works OK when I remove the SSD and replace the original HDD - so can you explain what the HP Recovery Tool is needed for?

Note: The laptop is outside of its warranty period.

Thanks.

HP Recommended

Hi @Praveenbv - reading the instructions for the HP recovery tool in your link - that seems to be used to do a factory reset. I don't want or need to do that. The original HDD is still working fine - the problem is that the clones SSD is not being recognised when I reboot (HDD removed and replaced with cloned SSD), whatever options I try in the BIOS / Boot manager etc.

Regards

HP Recommended

Hi@Dollarken, Please find the link 

HP PCs - Configuring the Boot Order in the System BIOS

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.