Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Notebook
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi guys, my laptop got stolen a few days ago.

I just wanted to make sure of the procedure I need to follow in order to be able to track it down.

Should I e-mail HP or go to Microsoft?

My lifetime's work is in the laptop...

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@JohnAsmar 

I am very sorry this happened.

It is worse if you did not make backups of your personal data when you still had access to the computer.

Anything??

If you have data in the Cloud, that data may still be there - log in with the appropriate userid / password.

For example, OneDrive can be accessed using your Microsoft account and password.

Unfortunately, neither HP nor Microsoft can help you.

HP does not track stolen property.

Microsoft, although sympathetic as well, cannot retrieve data from a computer that is not in your control.

The caveat: 

If you use OneDrive and need help with that access, Microsoft might be helpful.

IF you had set up "find my device" in Windows prior to losing control of the machine, Microsoft might be able to guide you in using that software to possibly track the system if it shows up on the 'net in your local neighborhood.  Frankly, though, even if you had activated the software, it is unlikely the thieves are sitting conveniently next door to your house.

Thank you for participating in our HP Community.

We are a volunteer community workforce dedicated to supporting HP technology

Click Thumbs Up to say Thank You for the help.

If the answer helped resolve your issue, Click "Accept as Solution" .

Dragon-Fur

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

@JohnAsmar 

I am very sorry this happened.

It is worse if you did not make backups of your personal data when you still had access to the computer.

Anything??

If you have data in the Cloud, that data may still be there - log in with the appropriate userid / password.

For example, OneDrive can be accessed using your Microsoft account and password.

Unfortunately, neither HP nor Microsoft can help you.

HP does not track stolen property.

Microsoft, although sympathetic as well, cannot retrieve data from a computer that is not in your control.

The caveat: 

If you use OneDrive and need help with that access, Microsoft might be helpful.

IF you had set up "find my device" in Windows prior to losing control of the machine, Microsoft might be able to guide you in using that software to possibly track the system if it shows up on the 'net in your local neighborhood.  Frankly, though, even if you had activated the software, it is unlikely the thieves are sitting conveniently next door to your house.

Thank you for participating in our HP Community.

We are a volunteer community workforce dedicated to supporting HP technology

Click Thumbs Up to say Thank You for the help.

If the answer helped resolve your issue, Click "Accept as Solution" .

Dragon-Fur

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.