cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents and videos on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents and videos on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
AaronD1
2 1 0 0
Message 1 of 3
Flag Post

Laptop Issue: Caps Lock LED blinking + Blank Screen

HP Recommended
Pavilion 15-an000na
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

My laptop screen will not turn on and my caps lock button LED is blinking in a 3+2 blinks pattern.

I found that this meant the following:

The embedded controller times out waiting for BIOS to return from memory initialization.

Suggested Solution:

Reseat the memory. See the section Reseating memory modules in a notebook for more information.
If reseating the memory does not resolve the problem, try replacing the memory modules. You might also consider contacting support for repair due to a possible RAM or system board failure.

My Question:
If my RAM cards are cleaned and reseated and my HDD is reseated, do I need to turn in my laptop for a system board failure assessment?

Source of Information:

https://support.hp.com/au-en/document/c01732674

2 REPLIES 2
WAWood
Level 16
Level 16
34,852 24,531 3,145 7,829
Message 2 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@AaronD1 

HP does not do equipment replacements unless the device fails within the warranty period. So, we need to know how old is the laptop?

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
Was this reply helpful? Yes No
AaronD1
Author
2 1 0 0
Message 3 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi @WAWood ,

The laptop is more than 5 years old now so is not in warranty period.

Best,

A

Was this reply helpful? Yes No
Warning Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation