Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Laptop Model 17-e113dx
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi, I came home today and when I pressed the power button to turn on my latop, nothing happened. I pressed it multiple times, with and without some force, as well as held the button down. It still didn't turn on. I tried it with the battery in and without the battery but plugged into the charger and outlet, but nothing happened. I'm not sure if it's that the battery drained and the charger died and that my laptop has no power. Right now my laptop is plugged into the outlet with the battery in and the light next to the power insert on the laptop is unlit. Something of note that happened yesterday was that my laptop randomly shutdown and restarted a few times actually. I wasn't sure what happened, but it was fine afterwards and it said the laptop was charged. I'm thinking these two issues are related, but I don't know what happened. Any advice would be appreciated, thanks!

10 REPLIES 10
HP Recommended

Hi @WesCoast,

Thank you for showing your interest in HP Support Forums. It is a great place to find the help you need, from other users, HP experts, and other support personnel. For you to have the best experience on the HP forum, you could also visit our HP Forums Guide for the First Time Here? Learn How to Post and More.

As I understand the computer is not turning on or is displaying only a black screen and the battery isn't charging either,

To provide an accurate solution, I'll need a few more details:

Is there is a light on the power button, keyboard and/or the charger port?

Did you make any changes on the PC before the issue started?

In the meantime, let's try these steps here:

If the computer does not start, the LED lights do not glow, and the display is black, you can perform one or more of the following actions to resolve the no power issue:

(Click on the blue letters to get more details about each step)

1. Examine the adapter and power cord for physical damage

2. Test the power from the AC wall outlet to the notebook connector

3. Start computer using the battery only

4. Check that the lid switch moves freely

5. When you have completed the troubleshooting steps, there should be power available to the computer. When you press the power button, the LEDs should glow, and you should hear the sounds of the fan and the hard drive spinning.

* If the battery does not accept the charge or the notebook does not turn on without the AC adapter, contact HP to order a replacement battery.

* If the LEDs do not glow, and there are no other indicators of power being available to the computer, contact HP for technical assistance in troubleshooting a potential problem with the AC power connection or the system board.

* If the LEDs blink, or the computer beeps, but it does not start, go to HP Notebook PCs - Troubleshooting LED Blink Codes or Beep Codes During Startup or Boot.

* If the LEDs glow but the computer does not start on either battery or AC power, go to Troubleshooting Black Screen Displays with No Error Messages During Startup or Boot.

Eagerly waiting for your response!

I hope you have a good day ahead,

And Feel free to ask your queries as this forum has some of the best people in the world available and ready to help.

Regards,

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi Jeet_Singh, thank you for your response.

To clarify, when I press the power button, the computer does not turn on as in: no fan, no screen. With the battery in and the power adapter connected, there is no light on the power button, keyboard, and charger port.  Same result if I have just the battery and no adapter, or no battery and with adapter. The adapter does not feel warm either. I made no changes to the computer before this occurred, and did not move it from my desk besides to put it on my lap. However, as I mentioned, the night before the computer stopped working, it randomly restarted a few times. After the last restart it seemed fine and I don't remember any low battery warnings. The first restart occured while I had the laptop on my lap, so I considered that it had overheated, so I placed it on my desk to let it cool but it happened twice more. Afterwards, it was fine.

I've went through the troubleshooting steps and I'm at the " If the LEDs do not glow [...] contact HP for technical assistance in troubleshooting a potential problem with the AC power connection or the system board," stage. I'm guessing it's either an adapter issue or something broke on the hardware in the laptop.

Thanks for the help!

HP Recommended

@Jeet_Singh

There is no light on any of the three items you mentioned.  I made no changes on the PC before the issue occured. Also, as I mentioned, the night before the laptop suddenly restarted a few times. I thought it was due to overheating because I had placed it on my lap. I moved it back to my desk with an external fan and it still restarted twice, but afterwards was fine. I've run through the troubleshooting steps, however my issue is still here.

HP Recommended

Hi @WesCoast,

I reviewed the post comprehensively. Brilliant effort, great troubleshooting band superb persistence to try and get the issue resolved.

As @Jeet_singh is out of office for the day, I am jumping in to assist you.

If you tried all the steps and the issue persists, then, please update the bios and chipset drivers from this link: http://hp.com/drivers Please select the country and type the product# of the computer. Then follow the on-screen instructions to do it. Then check if the issue gets resolved.

If it continues, please contact HP phone support by visiting this link: http://hp.com/contacthp Please select the country and type the productt# of the computer. Then follow the on-screen instructions to contact HP phone support to get the computer repaired.

Hope this helps.  Let me know how this goes. I genuinely hope the issue gets resolved without hassles and the unit works great.  🙂  Please reach out for any issues and I'll be there to assist you. 🙂

To simply say thanks, please click the "Thumbs Up" button to give me a Kudos to appreciate my efforts to help.

If this helps, please mark this as “Accepted Solution” as it will help several others with the same issue to get it resolved without hassles. 🙂

Take care now and have a splendid week ahead. 🙂

DavidSMP
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi @DavidSMP,

Thanks for the response. I may have miscommunicated this, but my computer does not turn on. I can't perform any kind of software updates to it like the bios or chipset drivers. I really cannot tell if this is my adapter issue, power jack issue, or power button issue, or some piece of my hardware is dead. I have actually looked online at a tutorial on disassembling the laptop, so I'm going to visually inspect the hardware to see any visible marks, like burning. Though I'm not really certain what to look for.

I've already went to the contact HP support, but I did not want to pay $60 for a diagnostic. At that point, it would be better for me to purchase another laptop. But I am hoping for some support here to at least point me in some possible directions as to what I should be looking at in terms of hardware issues.

If my adapter is the issue, then that would mean my battery drained overnight--leading to the computer not turning on. But my battery should not have drained that quickly. I also remember my battery being fully charged when my computer started doing the random restarts, unless that's when when it broke. 

I would greatly appreciate some guidance on what I can look for, thanks!

HP Recommended

Hi @WesCoast,

I read the post completely. Thanks for the super quick response. Before you think of buying a new computer, I would request you to step into a local Best Buy or Staples store and contact a technician to check with an alternate adapter just for testing purposes. If that does not work, then your options are open. You could get the computer repaired by contacting a local technician or opt for a new computer with a full year's hardware warranty to boot.

Please visit this HP shopping link: http://store.hp.com for options that best suit your work and your budget.

Trust me I've done everything here to assist you by keeping your best interest in mind. 🙂 You've  been absolutely superb to work with, by displaying great technical skills. 🙂 I thank you again for your time. It has been an absolute privilege to share this platform with you. 🙂

To simply say thanks, please click the "Thumbs Up" button to give me a Kudos to appreciate my efforts to help.

If this helps, please mark this as “Accepted Solution” as it will help several others with the same issue to get it resolved without hassles. 

You take care now, stay healthy, keep smiling big and do have a blessed year ahead. 🙂

DavidSMP
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Do any of you support agents actually read the problems or do you all have reading comprehension problems? The guy stated his laptop will not power up and has no lights displayed. Now how is updating the BIOS when the computer does not power up going to help? If you do not have a REAL solution DON'T answer and stop with the canned responses.

HP Recommended

The power button do not work, what can I do to start my computer

HP Recommended

Had the same issue as you. I did the below and it worked for me

1. Plug adapter to laptop

2. Saw charging light on at laptop

3. Remove battery from laptop

4. Press the power on button on laptop.

5. Laptop booted as per normal. Snapped the battery back on the laptop

6. Hibernate laptop.  Powered down as per normal

7. Pressed the power on button and it worked as a charm.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.