09-22-2020 07:11 PM
I wanted to upgrade my laptop and tried to swap the M.2 SSD, before the swap my system had everything running fine with Win 10 OS and no battery or other issues to report.
As soon as I removed the older SSD and inserted the new one and restarted the machine with a bootable USB of LINUX MINT OS, unfortunately the laptop doesn't turn on completely - The white LED(power) blinks for 3-5 secs and turns off.
I have tried the following with no luck:
- removed the new SSD and swapped with the older one - same behavior - blinking white LED and off
- completely removed the SSD from the slots and turned on - same behavoir
- power recycle - by holding the power button for 15, 30, 60 sec - same behavior
- Battery is non-removable - so charged the battery full till the LED changed from orange to white - is on for the charge indicator
Kindly help in this regard, not sure where it went wrong
Thanks in advance!
Solved! Go to Solution.
09-23-2020 03:35 PM
So, finally I was able to start my machine!
This is what I have tried:
- (since my laptop is out of warranty) I opened the laptop and removed all the screws attached on the Motherboard and carefully disconnected all the cables
- cleared leftover dust
- disconnected the CMOS battery (I am guessing this was what causing the issue) - CMOS hard reset and I was not able to get to the BIOS screen
- carefully put back all screws as is connected all the cables
- started my machine with the older version of SSD and it worked!
Hope this helps anyone
09-23-2020 10:37 PM
Every(or majority) PC/Laptop will have a CMOS battery, if your model matches you can refer the videos provided by HP Support or try searching with the model number over the internet:
I referred this video - hope this helps: