Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended

@Screwedover wrote:

@Vucci

This laptop is supposed to have UEFI bios by now, but for whatever reason it doesn't. So there is no Legacy mode. My bios doesn't show any hard drives, or Optical drives for that matter. I am able to change boot order. I have tried that, but will try again as you say it's specific. I can boot to Windows 10 USB and start install, but it does not show hard drive. So install cannot continue. New motherboard has same bios (no UEFI) so I really thought that would fix it, I can't find support for Bios to get the proper bios on it, as HP is here for shills... This really shouldn't ever be this complex... Proprietary is **bleep**! We should never support this type of crap if we want long term machines... I can boot my Dell laptop up and swap HDD's all day long and install Windows 10 (or any variety) and it see's the hard drive all day... There is no boot order that removes hard drive support entirely. And if there is, it's worded incorrectly... I appreciate your help, but this one is really out there... It's bizarre! I'm a computer technician, and I really thought it was the motherboard. Now I feel like it might be the cable... Some incompatibility or wrongly wired cable. Or... HP just deleted the hard drive option in these bios to truly end support? I really am at a loss as to what to think. Seems pointless to support a company that makes such products...

try the following:

Download Windows 10 ISO using Media Creation Tool.

Use Rufus freeware to create bootable USB flash drive for UEFI boot. There are tutorials is you don't know how.

Insert USB flash drive.

F9 at bootup.

HP Recommended

@Echo_Lake Clearly you can't read, or you're truly just a troll... Thanks for understanding NOTHING of what either of us has said... And THANKS for being a douche and totally ignoring my issue since I am the original poster... How do I report your ignorance??? Neither of us have a working OS... THAT IS THE PROBLEM!!! Thanks for wasting our time by responding in an unneeded fashion... Sadly while you may be here to help, you fail to start by reading... 😐 It saddens me how employees are able to have no interaction but can just pop in to spit out some random advice to people that have no OS on their laptop due to the Bios not reading the Storage medium... Mine boots to DVD... And mine boots to USB Windows 10 installer... But when it asks where would you like to install Windows... There are no hdd / ssd devices available... When they are clearly hooked up. But since

Echo_Lake is too busy to read, and can only read from a scripted support document, we won't get anything useful from him...

Acts more like a bot, or automated response. Is that what HP employs? ~Confused~

HP Recommended

@leee488 Why Rufus, I appreciate the advice, but the Media Creation Tool already formats the USB and makes the USB Bootable. I'm not sure if I'm missing anything or not, that's why I ask. I hate to sound short, but clearly Echo_Lake only posts to get #'s and frustrate people, and so I'm a bit flustered by his ignorance. Thank you for not being an employee and using more of a brain than that automated response bot that HP employs though! 😄

I just don't know what would be the difference from the Rufus program and the MS Windows 10 variation of it? I'll try it if you insist it will be different. The Media Creation tool makes the USB UEFI, but I guess it could be much different.

HP Recommended

I suggest Rufus as a last resort. You are clearly having problems. Got to try something!

HP Recommended

No change, while Rufus is nice, the MS utility did basically the same thing, just made me utilize my brain more to get the Rufus thing going. Thanks for the thought tho! I'm convinced the Sata dongle is not wired correctly for this motherboard. I put the old one in and it read the new hdd 1x out of 5-10 boots, up until I tried to access the drive. So either a wired wrong dongle, or a power source to sata is failing.

HP Recommended

Keep in mind, I have 2 working motherboards for this laptop now, and they both act identical... So I'm sold it's a wiring problem with the new connectors I bought! 😕 HP won't chime in to tell me where to get the proper cable, but they will tell me how to install Windows 10... AMAZING! Trash company, I will never buy another HP...

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.