Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Hp Pavilion g6 -2105ss
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have upgraded my CPU from a AMD A6-4400M to a AMD A10-4600M about 1 month ago. The laptop worked fine for a few days with no problems. Then it started freezing or the monitor just turned black with no sound. If I wait 2 or 3 minutes the computer restarts. This happenes in games and even when I'm just browsing. I installed  Rise of the Tomb raider and played a bit ( with about 20fps) and I was getting blue screens with no message and a horrible sound. That was the only time I got blue screens, now it just freezes or the monitor turns black. I thought the game was too powerful for the laptop and I uninstalled it.

I reinstalled the Windows but the laptop still freezes. What can I do? I'm wondering if the CPU is damaged or broken but if it was the laptop woudn't open I belive. I also have upgraded my RAM from 4GB to 8GB but this was before the CPU upgrade and it never froze or restart.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@xDominus

Thank you for replying with this detailed response 😉 

I appreciate your time and efforts,

I'm afraid you cannot install a BIOS update that's designed for Windows 7 or Windows 8 for a Windows 10 OS,

Also, to answer your next question, you could always check with another replacement as HP doesn't recommend removing the original processor as I mentioned earlier.

I suggest you check with eBay and get yourself a replacement CPU or get the original CPU back into the device to resolve the issue.

If you would like to thank me for my efforts to help you, 

feel free to give me a virtual high-five by clicking the 'Thumbs Up' icon below, 

Followed by clicking on "Accept as solution" button for my efforts to help you.

Have a great day!

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

@xDominus

Thank you for joining HP Forums. 

I'll be glad to help you! 

As I understand the Laptop Freezes Randomly After CPU upgrade,

Don't worry as I'll be glad to help, however, to provide an accurate resolution, I need a few more details: 

Did you reset the PC to release any excessive static from the device?

Did you know that HP Does not support or recommend upgrading the CPU?

(I'm afraid I can provide limited support in this scenario as you have an upgraded CPU on your device)

While you respond to that, let's start with performing a hard reset on the PC to release any excessive static/power that could have caused the issue. 

• Turn off the computer. 
  • Disconnect all external connected peripheral devices such as USB storage devices, external displays, and printers. 
  • Unplug the AC adapter from the computer. 
  • Press and hold down the Power button for about 15 seconds to drain any residual electrical charge from the capacitors that protect the memory. 
  • Press the Power button to turn on the computer. 
  • If a startup menu opens, use the arrow keys to select Start Windows Normally, and then press the Enter key. 

Second, you can check if there is Bios update available for your PC, here is the link to download. 

  

Performing a test on the Hard drive as well as on the Memory from the Hardware diagnostics:  
1) Shutdown the computer.  
2) Turn the computer back on again and repeatedly tap on the ESC until a Startup menu appears.  
3) Press F2 once for System Diagnostics.  
4) Go to Component test.  
5) Run extensive Memory and Hard Drive test.   

Depending on the test results, If the test passes then I would suggest you perform a complete system recovery.  

Note: Recovery will wipe off everything from the computer. If you have anything important get in touch with some local stores to get your data backed up. 

  

Click here to know: How to perform each step. 

  

For more details, you can try these documents as well. 

  

Computer Is Slow (Windows 10) 

Do get back to me as I have a few more tricks up my sleeve, 

That said, If I have helped you resolve the issue, 

feel free to give me a virtual high-five by clicking the 'Thumbs Up' icon 

followed by clicking on 'Accepted as Solution' 

And Have a great day Ahead!

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi, thanks for replying!

I have never reset the pc to release excessive static, I tried now, I turned off the laptop, unplugged everything and I pressed the power button for 30s, then I plugged it back in and it opened normally. No message whatsoever, no startup menu, it just opened.

I did not know that HP doesn't support/recommend upgrading the CPU. I actually posted a question on the forum if I can upgrade my CPU and if so, with what CPU and I got a lot of help from the HP employees.

As for the BIOS, I am running windows 10 and if I go to the HP drivers&support there are only 2 updates for the BIOS on windows 7,8. All my updates for the drivers I got them from the windows update except the video driver which I downloaded from the AMD website and the audio driver which I downloaded the windows 7 version from the HP website.

I ran the memeory test and the hard drive(the quick one) about 2 weeks ago and I had no problems.

I don't think a recovery is necessary because I reinstalled my windows 2 weeks ago. Isn't this the same thing?

The cpu temperature is fine: 35-40 degrees Celsius while browsing and about 65 degrees while playing games.

I checked the links you provided me but I didn't get much help.. 

HP Recommended

Hi @xDominus,

It looks like you were interacting with @Riddle_Decipher, but he is out for the day & I'll be glad to help you out, 
I'm the Jeet_Singh & I'm at your service. 

As I understand you have already followed all possible troubleshooting such as installing the latest drivers from Windows update and running  the test on the Memory and hard drive which has passed without any errors, 

In this scenario, before you come to any conclusion whether it's a software or hardware issue, I would suggest you perform a System recovery using the partition available on your PC. 

Alternatively, you can try to update the Bios, Chipset, graphics card drivers as well as other devices on your PC from our HP support website, using this link.

Also, download and install HP support assistant on your PC. It should automatically download and install the latest updates and drivers for your PC.

Refer this link to know how to use HP support assistant.

For more detailed instructions, I would suggest you follow all these steps here - HP PCs - Computer Locks Up or Freezes (Windows 10, 😎

If you have followed these steps and still having the issue with the computer freezeing while playing games. So, please remember to back up your data before initiating system recovery. If for some reason the recovery fails. The only other way to install Windows would be to order the recovery media for your laptop and using the recovery media you can install Windows. You can check if the recovery media is available online on www.hp.com/drivers by entering the exact model no. of your laptop. To find the exact model no. click here: http://hp.care/2bygf7l

HP PCs - How to Reset Your Computer to Factory Settings (Windows 10, 8, 7)

HP PCs - Obtaining HP Recovery Discs or an HP USB Recovery Drive

Otherwise, you could also reach HP phone support to order the recovery media. If your product is out of warranty, please choose paid options to get the tech support number.

HP Technical Support can be reached by clicking on the following link: http://h22207.www2.hp.com/us-en/?openCLC=true

(1) Once the support page opens please select the country in which you're located. Next, enter your HP model number on the right.

(2) Next, choose the 'Contact Support' tab at the top and scroll down to the bottom of the 'HP Support- Contact' page to fill out the form provided with your contact information.

(3) Once completed click the 'Show Options' icon on the bottom right.

(4) Lastly, scroll down to the bottom of the page and select 'Get the phone number.' A case number and phone number will now populate for you.

Hope this helps, for any further queries reply to the post and feel free to join us again.

Feel free to post your query for any other assistance as well,

It's been a pleasure interacting with you and I hope you have a good day ahead.

If you wish to show appreciation for my efforts, mark my post as Accepted Solution.

And click on the Purple Thumbs up icon at the bottom of my comment.

Regards,

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

All my drives are updated. I installed Hp support assistant and there are no updated avaible for my laptop.

As for the bios, I can't update it because on the HP Drives&support there is no Windows 10 option for my laptop.

The system recovery option is useless now because I have reinstalled my windows about 2 weeks ago.

HP Recommended

Hi @xDominus,

As I understand you have followed the steps suggested and still having the issue with the laptop keeps freezing. I would suggest here is to run an extensive system test as well as an extensive test on the hard drive from F2(Please capture the failure ID for further assistance).

If you have already followed it and still having the issue, the only option would be to perform a recovery. Before you come to any conclusion whether its a software related or a hardware issue.

If you haven't tried running the test, I would recommend you run the test and get back to us with the results for further assistance.

Eagerly waiting for your response!

Regards,

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I'll run the test this night and I will tell you the result when it's finished

HP Recommended

@xDominus

Thank you for the replying,

Please take your time and get back to me with the results,

We'll be awaiting your response and would be glad to help.

Feel free to post your query for any other assistance as well,

It's been a pleasure interacting with you and I hope you have a good day ahead.

If you wish to show appreciation for my efforts, mark my post as Accepted Solution.

And click on the Purple Thumbs up icon at the bottom of my comment.

Regards,

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I ran both tests: The memory and hard drive ( the quick ones and the extensive one) and it passed both of them..

I have some questions though:

1.Can I update my BIOS with the windows 7 or 8 version from  the HP websbite (I have Windows 10 and there are no windows 10 drives or updates). I also have the windows 7 audio driver and I have no problems whatsover.

2. Can the new CPU be broken or damaged in any way and that causes the freezes? ( I bought it from ebay and it was used but it looked very good and had no visible damage)

HP Recommended

@xDominus

Thank you for replying with this detailed response 😉 

I appreciate your time and efforts,

I'm afraid you cannot install a BIOS update that's designed for Windows 7 or Windows 8 for a Windows 10 OS,

Also, to answer your next question, you could always check with another replacement as HP doesn't recommend removing the original processor as I mentioned earlier.

I suggest you check with eBay and get yourself a replacement CPU or get the original CPU back into the device to resolve the issue.

If you would like to thank me for my efforts to help you, 

feel free to give me a virtual high-five by clicking the 'Thumbs Up' icon below, 

Followed by clicking on "Accept as solution" button for my efforts to help you.

Have a great day!

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.