Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Laptop - 14s-fq0005na

My laptop is coming up to 3 years old now, this issue has persisted since it was new, prior to explaining the issue I want to clarify

ALL drivers and bios are fully up to date 
The operating system is both updated from windows 10 to 11 and is also fully up to date
I have reset the laptop several times
I have opened the laptop up and checked that the CPU fan is clear and functional 
I have replaced the CPU thermal paste
I have performed the inbuilt component tests available and the components test OK, through the propietary menu system on boot up by pressing F2 and using the UEFI menu system

Now onto the issue

The laptop will perform normal for the most part, but will on occasion get VERY VERY hot even when doing relatively minor tasks, and this can on very odd occasions mean that the laptop gets so hot that it shutsdown to prevent overheating

If I stress test the laptop however it settles the CPU clock speed and can maintain a fairly OK temperature of around 80oC to 85oC, but when the laptop gets really hot to where it shuts down it exceeds 100oC, and I do not know what is causing it, and I have tried everything I can think of to resolve it 

Any suggestions would be appreciated 

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

Hi,

It could be that the fan itself is not working properly on certain occasions.

You could try replacing the fan

When it gets really hot there must be something working, maybe in the background. Have you checked in  Task Manager when the situation happens if anything looks out of the ordinary?

Hope it helps,

David

HP Recommended

The fan works fine and continuously, I set it to do so in the BIOS settings and the fan tests OK too in the component test, and the fan works stably and efficiently when the laptop is stress tested, so it can't be the fan at fault 

But thank you for your suggestion

HP Recommended

OK. So when this extreme overheating occurs you must hear the fan loud?

I mean it must be cooling or something causing the CPU to overheat.

When you say all the drivers are up to date, do you mean you installed the drivers yourself, through Windows, or through HP support assistant?

HP Recommended

Yes when the laptop overheats the fan speed is very high briefly and then it shuts off, but the fan always run otherwise it never stops and I made sure of that in the BIOS to try and help the issue, and the fan tests OK in the HP diagnostic UEFI as I said

The drivers are up to date through HP support asistant, but also through windows update too, but the updates that have come through Windows update  have been for components unrelated to any overheating issue, they are for things like bluetooth or networking

All drivers and BIOS that are up to date are from HP support, except the additional updates from Windows update, I haven't used 3rd party software outside of HP's or Microsoft's recommendations  

HP Recommended

You also asked about task manager

Now on occasion there is things like wsappx (an update management process for the store and OS), antimalware service executionable (which is part of Microsoft defender functioning as it should), desktop window manager and other services and processes like that, and these can on occasion use a fairly high amount of CPU

I will say that the issue seems to happen most frequently when watching YouTube but:

I watch at 720p not 1080p and I also do not have other tabs open on the browser, I have also tried other browsers to see if using a different browser helps the situation, and it doesn't, the issue persists

The really confusing part is that the issue is intermittent, and as I have said, stress testing the laptop doesn't result in an overheating, it is really frustrating

Otherwise the laptop functions normally, but I am considering a different laptop and saving this for my son to use instead when he visits, but I would like to prevent it from overheating and shutting down like it has done on occasions ever snce I bought it in 2021 

HP Recommended

Update

I used keyboard combination CTRL+ ⊞+SHIFT+B, which forces a restart of the video driver

So far this appears to have helped the matter, and it is something I will routinely do to hopefully mitigate further issues. But as I mentioned at the very beginning, this issue has persisted since I first got the laptop in 2021, and has persisted despite updates from Windows 10 to 11. Plus updates of drivers, the BIOS and updates from Microsoft, which is why I could not understand it continuing to be a problem.

Hopefully what I have done is sufficient to enable to use the laptop without considering to use it as a projectile.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.