Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Pavilion 15 Notebook PC
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Recently my laptop has been randomly restarting, maybe once or twice a day. I have consulted the 'Computer restarts unexpectedly' page and have done everything it says (disable the Automatically restart option, checked for failed hardware).

It shows no BIOS updates needed, however the video memory fast check done in HP PC Hardware Diagnostics Windows failed, but it shows no failure ID. I'm not sure if this the cause of the restarting or a separate issue. I have also found that there is no significant overheating of the laptop before it restarts, and often I wont be doing anything too demanding (running a word processor or reading things online). 

Regardless, I'm not sure what to do now and my warranty has run out because I purchased this laptop almost 3.5 years ago.

Any help would be hugely appreciated since I'm especially worried about losing school work as it just decides to restart while I'm typing mid-sentence.

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

@sadiakd wrote:

however the video memory fast check done in HP PC Hardware Diagnostics Windows failed, but it shows no failure ID.

Hello @sadiakd

Welcome to the HP Support forum. Thank you for posting !

I am not aware of "video memory test" - it's either the memory test or the video component test. Could you elaborate.

Please, watch >this video<, enter F2 system diagnostics and perform:

-> System Test (Quick test)

-> Component test for the video adapter

Let me know the results.

Thank you

Your FEEDBACK is important. Use the interactive buttons below and let me know if the post helps ;
*** HP employee *** I express personal opinion only *** Joined the Community in 2013
HP Recommended

I've ALSO done EVERYTHING that SADIAKD (post above) has done and still, nothing.   

HELP FIX THIS PROBLEM ASAP!

HP Recommended

After the recent Windows 10 Fall Creators Update (1709) especially laptops equipped with an AMD processor have been suffering from similar symptoms.

At least some seem to have been helped by disabling the Fast Startup feature of Windows 10 which makes the computer start somewhat faster.

Does not hurt to try disabling it.

Do as follows:

1. Right click the Windows icon down left

2. Select Search

3. Type Control Panel and hit Enter

4. Click on Power Options

5. Choose what the power button does

6. Click Change settings that are currently unavailable

7. Unselect the Turn on fast start-up

8. Select Save changes

9. Restart

Please let us know if this helps or not after a few days.

You can reverse the selection as above but by selecting the Turn on fast startup again.

People are using their precious remaining lifetime to try and help, so it is common courtesy to come back and tell what the solution eventually was even if you found it elsewhere. It is for the benefit of everyone.
HP Recommended

Thank you Jorkki!

I have now tried this fix and so far, so good...  Thank you for putting the detailed steps so if I want to reverse it I can get back to where I was - easier said than done for me sometimes!   

I will post again after some time passes to let others know if this worked for me.

Again, many thanks!

HP Recommended

THIS WORKED!   I did it the morning of March 14th and now, the morning of March 18th I have not had a single random restart!!!

Many, MANY thanks!

HP Support Forums