cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents and videos on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents and videos on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
The HP Calculator Community Message Board is moving. While we prepare for the move, we are unable to accept new postings. During the move, you can look for help from other users by visiting https://www.hpmuseum.org/ . Or if you need technical support for your calculator visit: HP Calculators. .
ADG93
1 0 0 0
Message 1 of 2
Flag Post

Laptop randomly shutting down when left to sleep

HP Recommended
HP - ENVY 15-ep0512na 15.6" Laptop - Intel® Core™ i7, 512 GB SSD
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello there.

I recently purchased a new laptop with the specifications given in the product name.

Everything with the laptop seems to be working just fine. I used it continuously for work all day today with no problem at all.

However, on a few occasions today and yesterday, I have left the laptop when going to e.g. cook lunch or dinner. When I return, I see that instead of going to sleep, my laptop has fully shut down. I press the power button to turn the screen on, provide my details, and see that every application has been shut down. When I open my browser back up for example, it says that Windows didn't shut down properly and asks me to restore the lost tabs. 

I know that this is not the laptop hibernating - I checked the settings and the default requirement times for hibernating are far too long for this to be true (I would be gone for maybe 10 minutes, not 240 minutes).

I don't know why it is shutting down. Any tips for why this is would be appreciated. Thank you.

1 REPLY 1
banhien
Level 19
Level 19
96,827 65,540 12,547 21,627
Message 2 of 2
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@ADG93 

Please try PreventTurnOff using the following guide

https://www.raymond.cc/blog/dont-sleep-prevent-windows-from-standby-shutdown-hibernate-and-restart/

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

>
Was this reply helpful? Yes No
Warning Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation