Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended
I went to turn on my laptop this morning after it was charged. The screen is complete blank except the curser mouse. I've had this laptop for about 4 months and nothing has ever gone wrong. When I push the airplane mode buttons the pop up box is visible, but nothing else. I'm not very computer savy and have no idea what to do.<br>Help?
4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

Hi BonkerzMommy13,

Thank you for visiting the HP Support Forums and Welcome. I have read your thread on your HP Notebook and getting a blank or black screen on startup. Try performing a hard reset. When performing a hard reset please note remove any and all USB devices, and remove memory cards from the card reader slot. Disconnect all non-essential devices. If that does not help try to turn on the computer you start to press F11 repeatedly till the menu opens. You can do a system restore. I would be happy to assist if needed as there are many models of HP I would need the model number. How Do I Find My Model Number or Product Number?
Please respond with which Operating System you are running:
Which Windows Operating System am I running?

Please let me know.

Thanks.

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom left to say “Thanks” for helping.:smileyhappy:

I work on behalf of HP
HP Recommended
Hi ive been having a similar problem. My laptop will be working fine then suddenly it starts to load and the screen goes black with the mouse still moving normally. When i close the screen and reopen, the whole screen goes black again and it wont go back to normal unless i press and hold the power button to shut it down and then turn it back on again. This is very frustrating as the last time this happened i lost part of my work
HP Recommended

Hi @Laurapaddley,

Thank you for showing your interest in HP Support Forums. It is a great place to find the help you need, from other users, HP experts, and other support personnel. For you to have the best experience on the HP forum, you could also visit our HP Forums Guide for the First Time Here? Learn How to Post and More.

I understand you are having a blank or black screen with only the mouse cursor. Don't worry I'll try my best to help you with this,

To provide you with an accurate solution, I'll need a few more details:

What is the product number of this computer? (Ensure you do not share any of your personal information such as serial, phone number, email ID, etc...).

Have you made any software or hardware changes made on the PC?

Was any update/reset interrupted, recently,

What is the screen loading to?

Are you also experiencing slow performance?

In the meantime, let's try these steps here:

Perform a Hard Reset 

Please follow the steps suggested in the support document - Click here

I will wait for your response. Eager to assist you.Cheers!

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thank you Jeet for adding that link, I figured out I had to do an HP BIOS Update and reset it and it worked so thank you for your help.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.