cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
allorey
5 3 0 0
Message 1 of 5
Flag Post

Laptop shuts down while it is asleep

HP Recommended
HP Spectre x360 - 13-ap0000tu
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I recently bought a Spectre x360. I close the lid when I'm moving around the school between classes, and sometimes when I open it up again, it seems to have shut down. It doesn't happen all the time (maybe 2-3 times a day, considering I put my laptop to sleep pretty often). It hasn't caused any problems yet, but I definitely don't think it's good for my laptop to keep shutting down like that, and it's pretty annoying to open everything back up. The settings when I 'close the lid' and 'press the power button' are all on sleep, and I've disabled the automatic shutdown after a system failure. It might be something to do with the updates, but every time I try to update something on HP support assist, it always fails. However, the BIOS and important stuff are all up to date. I am also not sure if it has something to do how long it has been asleep for, because sometimes when it's asleep overnight, it's fine, other times it shuts down after 1-2 hours of sleep.

4 REPLIES 4
Lil_Boy_Blue
Level 12
7,692 7,642 335 736
Message 2 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi

Hope this helps...

PWR and LID.png

Was this reply helpful? Yes No
allorey
Author
5 3 0 0
Message 3 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Like I said, I have already changed everything to sleep, not shut down. However, do you think I should disable the fast startup? Would that help?

Lil_Boy_Blue
Level 12
7,692 7,642 335 736
Message 4 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi

Yes I do personally.

allorey
Author
5 3 0 0
Message 5 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I thought it was fixed as it did not do it over the weekend, however, it did it again today.

I think it has something to do with moving it around, as it only happened when I first got to school after travelling on public transport and when I got home just now. I have been careful to position the laptop in my bag so that the power button wouldn't be accidentally pressed. When I took the laptop out, I noticed it was kind of warm. I don't know if that has anything to do with it. 

It's a little bit annoying, but I'm fine with it as long as forcefully shutting down (which is what it seems to be; when I open chrome it says it wasn't shut down properly) doesn't actually harm the laptop.

Warning Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation