Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended
My HP laptop is stuck on the loading screen. I have turned it off and on again but it then states preparing automatic repair, but still doesn't so anything.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

The hard drive has failed and will need to be replaced. If you are still in warranty HP will replace it. If not a retail laptop/mobile SATA hard drive can be used. Just be sure to get one of at least equal capacity as the original in order to use HP Recovery Media to install Windows. It can be larger, but not smaller capacity.For instance if you have a 500GB hdd you could use a 750GB hdd but not a 320GB hdd.

If you need more help selecting/replacing the hdd post back with full Model & Product Number as listed on the Service Tag attached to bottom of laptop.

**Click Accept as Solution on a Reply that solves your issue**
***Click the "YES" button if you think this response was helpful.***

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

Sounds like you may have a hard drive problem. Immediately after powering on start tappin the Esc key. This will open a menu where you can select F2 for System Diagnostics to run the tests.

HP Recommended
I have run a test and it says that my hard drive short dst check has failed. Do you know what I need to do now?

Thanks for your quick response.
HP Recommended

The hard drive has failed and will need to be replaced. If you are still in warranty HP will replace it. If not a retail laptop/mobile SATA hard drive can be used. Just be sure to get one of at least equal capacity as the original in order to use HP Recovery Media to install Windows. It can be larger, but not smaller capacity.For instance if you have a 500GB hdd you could use a 750GB hdd but not a 320GB hdd.

If you need more help selecting/replacing the hdd post back with full Model & Product Number as listed on the Service Tag attached to bottom of laptop.

HP Recommended
Thank you for your support. Much appreciated.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.