Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
If you are having hardware issues with your computer, please, Click here for more information.
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion 15 Notebook PC
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I was using Google Chrome when all of a sudden it froze. My computer was not responding to anything so I held the power button for a few seconds until it turned off. I turned it back on, I have this administrator password on it (I don't know if that's normal, my computer is second hand) and that worked fine. It was loading on the HP logo screen and it was taking a long time, about half an hour. Then the loading screen disappeared but it never loaded and got stuck on a black screen. I can't get it to load and I've tried to turn it off and on a few times. I haven't tried anything else because I don't want to accidentally break my computer. It's also gotten quite hot trying to boot up. Can someone please help me get my computer to turn back on? The product number is G8D66PA#ABG 

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

Hi @McMickMemeintos,

Thanks for engaging in HP support Forums! This is a wonderful location to converse with the community, get assistance and find tips!  As I understand you are having issues with the computer no longer boots into Windows. Don't worry I'll be really glad to help you with this.

To provide you with an accurate solution, I'll need a few more details:

Have you recently made any software or hardware changes on the PC before the issue started?

Have you tried to run any test on the computer?

When was the last time it worked?

This looks like a possible hardware failure on the PC. Unfortunately, the failure code which you have provided does not seem to pull any failure. So request you to run the test again and get back to us with the failure ID, so that I can provide you with the right information.

In the meantime, I would recommend you try these steps here: 

Let's start off by performing a Hard reset on the notebook: A power reset (or hard restart) clears all information from the computer's memory without erasing any personal data. Performing a power reset might fix conditions such as Windows not responding, a blank display, software freezing, keyboard stops responding, or other external devices locking up.

Attempt a Bios Recovery

Next thing, I would suggest here is to Run a System diagnostics test as well as an extensive test on the Hard drive and Memory from F2 (Please capture the failure ID for further assistance).

If all test pass turn off the computer.

As you turn it back on tap the F10 key. This will load BIOS setup utility.
Press F9 to load defaults.
Press F10 to save and exit.

For more assistance, please follow all the steps suggested in the support document for -  HP PCs - No Power or No Boot Guided Troubleshooter

HP Notebook PCs - Computer Does Not Start (Windows 10)

You could as well as go through this support document -HP Notebook PCs - Troubleshooting Black Screen Displays with No Error Messages During Startup or Boo... 

Keep me posted,

If the information I've provided was helpful,

give us some reinforcement by clicking the solution and kudos buttons,

that'll help us and others see that we've got the answers!

Good Luck.

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thank you for responding!

The only recent software changes I made was deleting a few old installed apps and photos.

The computer usually will attempt to scan and repair the disk for a few hours, everytime restarting the laptop when done but doing nothing to fix the problem. It also sometimes scans and asks me to either restart the computer or see advanced options.

It last worked yesterday morning before it froze up, about a few hours before I made this post.

I successfully performed a hard reset. There were no messages and the problem persists. 

I tried to do a Quick test. Processor test passed, memory test failed. Here is the fail code: MFXCXS-7GQ8T7-MFPV6K-40EH03 

HP Recommended

Hi @McMickMemeintos,

You've performed the hardware test and it resulted with the failure ID – MFXCXS-7GQ8T7-MFPV6K-40EH03

Here's what the ID represents: 201

Memory Module 1 Failure

This clearly indicates a possible hardware failure. I would recommend you contact our HP phone support for a setting a service for your computer. 

HP Technical Support can be reached by clicking on the following link: http://h22207.www2.hp.com/us-en/?openCLC=true

(1) Once the support page opens please select the country in which you're located. Next, enter your HP model number on the right.

(2) Next, choose the 'Contact Support' tab at the top and scroll down to the bottom of the 'HP Support- Contact' page to fill out the form provided with your contact information.

(3) Once completed click the 'Show Options' icon on the bottom right.

(4) Lastly, scroll down to the bottom of the page and select 'Get the phone number.' A case number and phone number will now populate for you.

If you have any troubles, let me know and I will do my best to help!

Hope this helps, for any further queries reply to the post and feel free to join us again

Feel free to post your query for any other assistance as well,

It's been a pleasure interacting with you and I hope you have a good day ahead.

If you wish to show appreciation for my efforts, mark my post as Accepted Solution.

And click on the Purple Thumbs up icon at the bottom of my comment.

Regards,

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thank you for the help, I will attempt to call when I have time. Can I ask one more question, am I able to plug a USB into my computer and copy my computer files into an empty USB, as i am unable to open my files on the broken computer? Thanks.

HP Recommended

Hi @McMickMemeintos,

Thank you for replying,

As I understand you are having issues with the computer no longer boot into Windows, and you would like to know if you can backup your files into an empty USB flash drive. 

If you are able to boot the computer into Windows then, you can go ahead and backup your important data onto the USB flash drive. It's impossible to do when the computer does not boot into Windows.

If you wish to give a try, I would personally suggest you get in touch with a local tech who can try and see if the hard drive is accessible, If the hard drive is accessible, then they might be able to backup your files, for a nominal charge.

I hope this information helps. If you need any further assistance, please don't hesitate to reach us.

You've been great to work with and it has been a genuine pleasure interacting with you.
I hope both you and your product works great and remain healthy for a long time 😉 

To simply say thanks for my efforts to assist you, please click the "Thumbs Up" button to give me a Kudos.
And mark my post as Accepted Solution to help others find a similar solution as you have.

Take care now and do have a fabulous week ahead. 🙂
Regards,

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thank you very much for the answer! Sad to hear that I cannot backup my files, but I am going to go see if I can get someone to fix it today, and if that fails I will go through with calling support if I have time. And again thank you for the help!

HP Recommended

Hi

You have a HP Pavilion 15-p010ax Notebook PC and Windows 7, 8 or 10?

Sometimes with the laptop unplugged from the wall remove main battery if possible) pressing and holding the PWR down for 15 seconds can help.  Replace the battery.

PWR on and repeatedly pressing F11 can bring up a recovery area.

If the drive is mountable and readable using a rescue disk then XCOPY can recover your files.

If in doubt please ask.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.