Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended
HP ENVY 17-1150eb
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi fellow HP users, this is a long shot but bear with me

8 years ago I splashed nearly 2000 euros for a state of the art HP Envy device. A beast of a machine that served me well throughout college. That was still in the Windows 7 days.

I always keep my devices up to date and I'm always following the latest Windows releases, so my Envy soon had Windows 8 on it, then 8.1. It all worked as it should and I could still get all my intense graphics work done.

Then Windows 10 came along. Sadly I have never been able to use this very expensive machine again since. For some reason Windows 10 and this HP Envy don't get along and it's because of the amd GRAPHICS CARD (ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5850). There is just no compatible driver out there and without it or with the one Windows auto-installs my pc crashes on boot and it's unusable. I can't even boot into safe mode, usually I end up reinstalling Windows and trying again to eventually fail all over again.

I can't help but feel dissapointed about this reality. My Sony Vaio laptop I bought in 2007!! runs Windows 10, has no driver issues but does not have the powerful internals as my Envy.

The reason I bought this laptop (the great graphics performance) has left me without a laptop and has also kept me from buying HP again...

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@RazlDazlRalph 

I understand your frustration - but if you insist on pointing the finger, at least do it at the right folks -- AMD.  It was that company that decided NOT to produce any Win10 drivers newer than 2016 for their HD 5850 series.

You can try using their Crimson Edition to see if it works better -- but I would not hold out hope.  You can get it from here:  https://www.amd.com/en/support/graphics/amd-radeon-hd/ati-radeon-hd-5000-series/ati-radeon-hd-5850

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
HP Recommended

Hi,

I appreciate you taking time to read my story.  I'm not here to put the blame on HP, I'm sorry if that came across like that.

I'm putting blame on a system where manufacturers work together on a 2000 dollar device but fail to guarantee it the lifespan it deserves. I would assume HP has some kind of leverage on AMD, as the can just decide to go with Nvidia otherwise. 

I will talk to AMD!

Thanks,

HP Recommended

@RazlDazlRalph 

I would assume the opposite -- that AMD is going to do as it pleases, regardless of anything that HP does or says.

It was an AMD decision to NOT support Win10 for their HD series chips/cards beyond a certain point -- and I would not expect HP to jump in after that and fund device drivers for what AMD clearly sees as obsolete video products.

Also, I see this as an unfortunate trend in PC manufacturing in general in failing to support equipment for very long.  I have a tablet that is nearly 15 years old and still works great under Win7 -- but it can run nothing newer because MICROSOFT decided to pull the system code needed to support the video chipset when they came out with Windows 8; otherwise, it would be running that and maybe, Windows 10.

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.